Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

firewall

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

anyone heard or use provencia desktop 8? i can get it through school for free so i was thinking of just going with it. however i tried searching for it and havent been able to come up with anything.

also i have heard of good things about kerio (sp?). just wondering what version i should get. i've read that the newer version (4 i think) is pretty buggy and that alot of people stick with the older version. if this is the case, what version should i get and where to get it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 02:16 PM

I can't find anything on provencia desktop 8, either.
Here are a couple more good, free, firewall options, that several of our members use:
Sygate Personal Firewall
ZoneAlarm
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:13 PM

ok so i guess no go for provencia desktop 8. i've been reading other posts on this forum and from them i think i will stay away from zonealarm. doesnt seem to have alot of good opinions about them.

sygate and kerio on the other hand are diff. does anyone have a preference over the other? if not im might just try both of them and see which one i prefer. also, what version of each should i try to get? i heard that the latest one is not always the best.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

I use and recommend Sygate Personal Firewall. The latest version is quite stable and runs on, as far as I know, every version of Windows. It has many good features, including logs,the abilility to manage permission by applications, and a backtrace and whois module.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:16 PM

I use and recommend Sygate Personal Firewall. The latest version is quite stable and runs on, as far as I know, every version of Windows. It has many good features, including logs,the abilility to manage permission by applications, and a backtrace and whois module.
Regards,
John

I agree 100 % and use it as well.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:36 PM

All,

I don't use Sygate but I find it very respectable. However I wonder what the acquisition of Sygate by Symantec will do for the future of it's respectability? I for one in the last few years have lost all trust and respect for Symantec/Norton products.

Link to NetworkWorld Article about Symatec acquisition

Be (Symantec) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:25 PM

Good question. I too am not a great fan of Norton, but hopefully all they want to get ahold of is the corporate side of the software. It would be wise to download and save the latest version of the firewall from Sygate, just in case Norton changes the free policy for it. Fortunately, firewalls to not need updated definitions.
Regards,
John

#8 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:30 AM

any issue about sygate and kerio using up too much system resources? also i can just get the latest verions from their website? i think i will run sygate on mine and kerio on my dads and see which one we like better

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:46 AM

Firewalls are not usually memory hogs, at least Sygate has not been for me. Your idea of testing each on a different computer is valid, especially if the OS is the same for both. I am sure the members would be interested in your comparison of the two.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 August 2005 - 10:46 AM.

#10 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:39 AM

i just got spygate v5.6. so far it just keeps asking me alot of questions everytime i go online, but alteat it works. i was wondering if there is some tutorial on this somewhere. right now im just reading the help file and that kinda helps a little, although i am still confused on alot of stuff, especially about the logs and the graphs.

also i've found out that the stealth mode browsing is only for pro. im not exactly sure what that is.

another thing is i went here <http://scan.sygate.com/> and did the quick scan and the stealth scan. what kind of result should i get? for the stealth scan all the ports seemed to be blocked. im guessing thats a good thing?

Edited by splackavellie, 20 August 2005 - 11:49 AM.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:49 AM

I was never much of a believer in letting a software maker test its own products. The results can be rather, errr...... predictable. :thumbsup:

Try testing these with Shield's Up.

If you are using a personal firewall product which LOGS contacts by other systems, you should expect to see entries from this site's probing IP addresses: 4.79.142.192 -thru- 4.79.142.207. Since we own this IP range, these packets will be from us and will NOT BE ANY FORM OF MALICIOUS INTRUSION ATTEMPT OR ATTACK on your computer. You can use the report of their arrival as handy confirmation that your intrusion logging systems are operating correctly, but please do not be concerned with their appearance in your firewall logs. It's expected.

Edited by Leurgy, 20 August 2005 - 11:51 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:52 AM

yeah i've also done that but i dont know how to make sense of the result.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

wondering if there is some tutorial on this somewhere.

You can get the Sygate User's Manual here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#14 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

Here are my results from Shields Up with Sygate installed :thumbsup:

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2005-08-20 at 22:05:43

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:21 PM

If ports 1-1056 are shown to be in "stealth mode" it means that your computer's address will not be recognised by unwanted incomming packets. So for their purpose, you do not exist.
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users