Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible keylogger and spam emails

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sella35

sella35

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

This has actually been happening for a little while. This is my mother's computer and I will try to help her. I thought that I had fixed the email issue, just by changing her password. But then she received bounced mail-return notice a few weeks later. And after looking it appears it has started sending out emails again. I do not know if it is coming from her computer or just from someone knowing her email information. It looks like it sends to everyone in her addy book. And only about once a week or so. My sister actually got an email and clicked the link and said it was for a pharmacy company.

My mother's World of Warcraft account was also hacked. Which leads me to believe she has some kind of keylogger. She has not shared her information with anyone, nor has she ever gone to a gold-site. BUT, my nephew was playing on her computer and did go to some free-gaming sites and who-knows where else??

She is hardwired into the router but is getting latency of 1500-2k at times, mostly in the evenings. During this same time, I will be sitting at 40 latency. This high latency has really just started for her since her account was hacked. We are waiting on authenticators from Blizzard, but in the mean time, I would like to get her computer clean.

I ran a hjt on her comp and will post if requested. She has a Windows XP service pack 3. Thanks for any advice and let me know if/when I should post the HJT information.

Sella

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users