Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with uninstalling

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jnl

jnl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

I'm using Windows Vista, and preparing for my upgrade to Windows 7. The "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor" wants me to uninstall some of my programs. I was able to do with most of them with "Uninstall or Change a Program." However, there are two programs that I was not able to uninstall: ATI Catalyst and Catalyst Control Center.

ATI Catalyst:
Usually, if I right click on an item it gives me the option to uninstall it, but for ATI Catalyst it kept trying to install the program. There were two options to click on Change or Repair. If I click on Change, it tries to install the program. If I click on Repair I get this dialog: An unidentified program wants access to your computer. Unidentified Publisher. Then I have to choose whether to Allow or Cancel. But there is no option for uninstall.

Catalyst Control Center:
Although "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor" says I need to uninstall this, I cannot find it in my list of programs under "Uninstall or Change a Program" Where do I find it and how do I uninstall it?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

hi,,, i used revo uninstaller to remove mine before win7 upgrade,,,,,,,,, i hit a snag with my upgrade,,,, no drivers for my ati HD4750 card ,,, hope yours aint one of those :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

^ The HD 4750 belongs to the 4700 Series, which has both Win 7 - 32Bit and 64Bit drivers.
HD 4700Series - Win7 32Bit
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

figgis41: So what did you do to remedy it? If I uninstall it with revo uninstaller will I be able to reinstall it once I have windows 7?

Should I try to just install Windows 7 without removing ATI Catalyst?

Also, as I did not install ATI (it came on the computer when I bought it in August), how will I re-install it after upgrading to 7?

Edited by jnl, 31 December 2009 - 03:37 PM.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

Yes, remove all traces of ATI Catalyst and CCC using Revo Uninstaller.
Upgrade to Windows 7 and install the Win7 drivers for the same.

Good luck ! :huh:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 31 December 2009 - 04:27 PM.

#6 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

ReviverSoft: Thanks. I was able to uninstall ATI, but I still can't find "Catalyst Control Centre" It doesn't show up in the icons on Revo Uninstaller, and when I do a search through Revo, it doesn't come up. I even tried doing a search for just "Catalyst" and nothing was found.
Yet, when I ran "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor" just now, it's still telling me to uninstall "Catalyst Control Centre" Where can this file be?

Edited by jnl, 31 December 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

Restart your PC and give both, Driver Cleaner and CCleaner a whirl.

#8 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

I tried that I still can't locate it.

Happy New Year!

#9 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:32 AM

Okay, I finally found Catalyst Control Centre - it was a folder. I deleted the folder and then emptied the recycle bin, then I rebooted. I ran Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it still says to uninstall Catalyst Control Centre, so I guess when I deleted it, it didn’t work…
If Revo Uninstaller is not even recognizing that CCC is still on my computer, then how do I find it to remove it?

#10 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

^ The HD 4750 belongs to the 4700 Series, which has both Win 7 - 32Bit and 64Bit drivers.
HD 4700Series - Win7 32Bit

hi,,, unfortunatly its a bit more complicate than tat,,, i have 2 new laptops that have 2 cards,,,, and what is known as switchable graphics,,, 1 card is HD3200 and the other is the HD4750,,, when you run on mains power the big card is running, if you run on the pc's battery then it instantly switches to the 3200,,,, it all worked like a charm on vista and i was very impressed with it,,, but there are no drivers for the ccc to run this feature any more on windows 7,,, hre's a link to what i mean,,,,
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/3...-7-upgrade.html

jnl,,, on one of my pc,s i didn't bother to uninstall the ccc and just went ahead with the upgrade,,, all worked fine as regardds the upgrade and my pc's run on the lower cards.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

Frankly, with the Drivers causing conflicts with the Windows OS, it is best to uninstall any previous installation of the drivers and related software before a clean install of the latest version.

@figgis41

The HD3200 is an onboard graphics chipset as opposed to the HD4750 which is a discrete graphics card. That said, it's obvious that the graphics subset would switch from the discrete graphics to onboard graphics, due to the lack of power or other reasons.
However, it is recommended that you manually select the graphics option to avoid any kind of hardware issue in the future.

#12 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

hi,,, yer the 3200 is on board,, sry about that,,, i tried manual selection as shown in the link i posted and it will not work for me,,, i think i need to flash the bios first as the others have,,, one of these lappys is my wifes and the other is my youngest daughters and both are not really used for games as they both have gaming machines i made them :huh: ,,, so im thinking of running both on the on board 3200 for now and wait for the box maker (acer) or the gpu maker (ati/amd) to get there fingers out and sort out some drivers for this machine :huh: ,,, on the plus side i made recovery discs of vista before win 7 upgrade so i can always switch back to vista if need be,,,, i know we went a bit off topic here but thanks for your points on this matter,,, i appreciate it :huh:.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#13 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

@ ReviverSoft

In Device Manager under Display adapters: ATI Radeon HD 4350. That's the only one listed, so does that mean that it's the internal one? So then I wouldn't be able to disconnect it without messing things up pretty bad, right? I don't know if my mb has graphics capability - do they all have something, or do some of them only rely on graphics cards?

When I tried uninstalling the ATI Radeon, it reinstalled itself when I rebooted.

Please excuse the fact that I'm very new to all of this.

I'm using an HP e9107c that I bought in August. I haven't changed anything with the graphics since I got it.

#14 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

Hello again,

1. It only shows the HD 4350 in the Device Manger because it is currently in use (inserted in the PCI-Express slot) and powering your Display.

2. You can remove the HD 4350 and switch to the onboard graphics (Intel GMA X4500 HD).

3. Most motherboard have onboard graphics, while some, particularly for performance enthusiasts miss out on onboard graphics and compensate the omission with 2-3 PCI-Express slot for additional graphics cards.

4. Simply uninstalling the HD 4350 software/driver through Windows won't help, as the card is still inserted in the PCI-E slot.

Hope this helps.

#15 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

Thank you for all the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic