Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not start up; I am resorting to Recovery Console but it doesn't work?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Armie Kim

Armie Kim

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

Last night, I decided to update my Windows since it was highly recommended by Windows. After about 60 updates (mostly security updates) I turned off my computer.
This morning, my computer could not start up. it would go into a loop where it shows a black screen apologizing and saying that Windows was unable to start up successfully. I am given boot options. It looks like this:

We apologize for the inconveneince. Windows did not start successfully etc....
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Last known configuration
Start Windows normally

I tried all options, and none worked. The reboot loop went on and on.
I tried to install a Recovery Console using my CD and followed the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
(note: while typing in the commands, there were captions that said "Windows was unable to recognize the command..." whenever i typed in commands such as "c:\windows\etcetcetc" but never for "copy c:\etc" or "delete c:\etc"

When it went to the procedure involving going into Safe Mode, I was unable to. My computer just kept rebooting.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

Try changing the boot order of your bios setting and boot from CD to do a repair see if that works !

* Many computers out there are not configured to boot from the CDROM. If you cannot boot from the CDROM, this is probably due to the boot order of your computer being incorrect for CDROM booting.

You have two options:

1.) You can change this in the BIOS during POST, which is usually the very first screen displayed by your computer when you turn it on.

2.) Many newer computers have a selectable boot menu by tapping F8, F10 OR F12 right during/after the first POST screen. This will allow you to temporarily boot from a CDROM.

To enter your BIOS, most users here will press the DEL key.

Most users with Dell, Gateway, Sony & HP systems will press F2.

Many Toshiba laptops are F2 or require you hold the ESC key when you turn the system on. Your notebook will report an error and prompt to press F1 to enter setup. Do exactly that.

Compaq users will usually have to press F10.

IBM typically uses F1 or F2.

Other brands may have different keys to press to enter setup, but F1, F2, Del, Tab and CTRL+S or CTRL + ALT + S are the most common ones I'm familiar with. Often, the BIOS will display what button to press to "enter setup" during POST.

When you enter the BIOS setup, you need to change the boot order. The CDROM should be setup before the Hard Drive. Each BIOS is different !

Once changed then start a re-install from there !

Good Luck hope this helps ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 Armie Kim

Armie Kim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

thank you for the reply!
but will that delete my data and drive information? i have a lot of documents that are very important in my computer, and i certainly don't want them deleted...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users