Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP or Sony - Please help me decide!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LazyMan826

LazyMan826

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out what computer I want to buy. I pretty much had my heart set on an hp computer (link below) but then someone told me that they are bad and sony was the way to go (link also below).

Can someone help me decide which is better? They are very similar products so does anyone have an opinion towards one or the other? Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+La...161&st=vaio

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+...6287&st=dv6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

If I had to pick between a Sony and an HP, I would pick the HP. However, if I had my own choice, my first pick would be a MacBook Pro (if I had the money!!). But, on a budget (like most of us mortals), I would pick a Dell (better than most PC's, not as good as a Mac, though).

That does look like a pretty nice HP, though.

Go for the HP. :blink:

Enjoy Windows 7!
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

The HP features faster DDR3 memory, a 500GB HD, LED Display and looks better.
Go for it! :blink:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

Two for hp.....cool!
Thanks for your opinions.........wouldn't mind hearing from anyone else.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

If you get the HP, be sure to read the manual thoroughly. Also take the time to make the disks they tell you to
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

I heard that hp makes you create your own disks. I will be sure to do that. Thanks!

#7 nancyattle

nancyattle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

I'm also looking at the HP Pavilion DV6 etc. Two more questions:
1) The DVD/CD writer on my current computer is broken. Do I really have to copy everything to CDs? Could I just copy them to an external drive or a flash stick?
2) How does HP fair on reliability? Like, do you have to take it to be fixed a lot?

Thanks. Nancy

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

Go to Wal-Mart and buy the biggest external hard drive you can afford, assuming you don't already have one (a flash drive won't be big enough). 250GB or 320GB should be enough. Don't muck around with backing up to CDs. Most external hdd's come with backup software already on them. You can also use your own if you have one you like better. You'll not only use it to transfer your data from your old computer to your new, but also to backup things once you get your new computer. I use mine all the time. It's indispensable. :blink:

HP's are pretty standard quality computers. Like Ford and Chevy are for automobiles. They're not Lamborghini's, but everyday people drive them all the time. (sorry for my poor analogy) But yeah, they're pretty good. :wacko:

#9 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

ASUS makes the best notebooks.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

I would put Asus under Macs, but both are expensive (because they're both so good).

It would be safe to opinionate that Asus makes the best PC's, but not notebooks entirely. :wacko:

Most people don't have enough money to pay for a super nice computer like an Asus or Mac, so people (me included) usually get something like an HP, Dell, etc....still good quality, but not uber-great.

Cheers. :blink:

#11 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

From what I've seen, ASUS notebooks are very inexpensive. The ASUS K50 would be a great choice.
Macs are not even that great. They're more of a status symbol than anything else. It's the same with any of their products.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

Well, everybody has an opinion. And I can respect that.

Cheers. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users