Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Freezing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tray1990

Tray1990

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

I'm not entirely sure this is a virus, but this is the only forum that seemed appropriate for my problem. Recently my laptop has started freezing. It seems to freeze more when it is set to a higher resolution and when it is plugged into the battery. When it's plugged in it freezes within minutes of loading my desktop and it is nearly impossible to open up any web browser without it freezing. The only way I am able to get it to be able to run is to charge it while I'm not using it and set the resolution to the lowest possible setting. Currently I am running Windows XP. This problem just started suddenly earlier the other day, my laptop has never done anything like this before. If any sound is coming out of the speakers then about 30 seconds before it freezes it will get caught in mini loop playing the sound the last sound that came out of the speakers (when I say mini loop I mean it will repeat about the last second of sound repetively). After this happens when I hit mute my computer will respond to the fact that it is muted, but the sound still continues and my laptop will freeze seconds later. Any help someone could give me on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tray1990

Tray1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

My laptop has now gotten to the point where it freezes on the welcome screen for windows most of the time, it will occasionally get to the desktop but it seems to load indefinitely and freeze if I try to do anything like open the start menu or try to activate any of my desktop icons.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Looks like the laptop is overheating.
What make/model is it? And how long have you had it?

Also, where you running any anti-virus program before this started to happen?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Tray1990

Tray1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:17 AM

The laptop is a dell and I've had it for about 4 years. Before the initial freezing began I was running an older version of AVG and soon after the freezing began I upgraded to the latest version of AVG. Also I forgot to mention that the laptop can still run in safe mode.

Edited by Tray1990, 07 January 2010 - 12:18 AM.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

Also I forgot to mention that the laptop can still run in safe mode.

Does it still freeze and make the same noise in the Safe Mode?

#6 Tray1990

Tray1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

No, in safe mode it runs pretty smoothly and doesn't have any issues that I have noticed, I haven't really tried to do too much in safe mode though. The only thing I did was remove a couple games I had installed on my computer. Recently before it was freezing my friend had put Guild Wars it so I decided to remove it from the computer.

#7 Tray1990

Tray1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

I just got windows 7 the other day, do you think installing that on my computer and getting rid of everything else would help fix the problem?

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

Yeah, thing is you can't do much in the Safe Mode. It's basically a diagnostic mode that packs the bare essentials and nothing more.

Looks like you are open to installing Windows 7, so I suggest you go ahead.

But make sure you do the following:

1. Do a drive format before you install Win7

2. Make sure you have Win7 drivers for the hardware devices that will need them

Good luck!

#9 Tray1990

Tray1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I went ahead and installed windows 7 on both of my laptops. My dell is working very smoothly now, but my other laptop, which is a fujitsu, is having issues with its built in microphone. When I was installing some of the cd's that initially came with my laptop a couple said that they were incompatible with the operating system, one of the cds involved drivers for the computer. From what I can tell all the other functions of the laptop work fine.

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

You could try looking for the driver on their website.

#11 Tray1990

Tray1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

I downloaded an audio driver from fujitsu's main website, but it didn't seem to do anything. It seems like my computer doesn't detect my built in mic. When I go do the audio section under sounds it just shows the microphone jack and says that it's unplugged. The driver that I download is Audio_Realtek_v6.0.1.5911_W7-32-64. When I click on the file it goes to a window that gives me the option to run or cancel. When I select run it just goes to a screen that looks like it is installing something then after its done the screen disappears and nothing happens.

#12 Tray1990

Tray1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

Ok, my friend just stopped by and helped me out, i think i was downloading my driver from the wrong place. Now my audio driver is working fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users