Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activation?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ashfagg

ashfagg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:54 PM

Hi,

Does anybody know if MS are going to continue with their activation scheme, as in XP?
Thanks,

Ash
If there is an Intel inside, there is an idiot outside!:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:40 AM

More than likely as it seems to be working (at least from Microsoft's standpoint) with XP. I would think that it will probably be an even more secure anti-piracy measure also.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 g52ultra

g52ultra

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:30 PM

Yes. They will.

Microsoft has become more agressive about activation since they first started doing that with the first release of XP. The hackers broke the Whistler beta (prerelease of XP) even before XP came out. They were getting file updates even up to SP1.

Microsoft fixed that with SP1. They were pretty pissed about that happening. Or so they thought.

When SP2 came out for XP, Microsoft deployed a thing called "Windows Genuine Advantage", which was a required program to download when you attempted to visit the Windows Update Website. Within 24 hours, "somebody" figured out a way to bust it, and the funny thing was that Microsoft incorporated the tools themselves to bust it!

MS is pretty serious about this. Right now overseas MS is marketing " a more affordable XP" to discourage piracy. Not everybody has a $100 to throw away on an OS. And when you can get Linux for free.

The day Microsoft open sources their software would be like the day Keith Richards goes sober. To protect their empire they have to do everything they can to protect their product. Just like the spyware people finding every loophole in every update of IE that always promises "more security" the hackers will find a way to bust everything Microsoft throws at them, whatever they may call it. The legitamate consumer gets stuck with a bloated product, and the hackers just find another way around it. I site the "new improved IE7" The 180search engine people already embraced it!

And their answer is to get more aggresive about it.

Especially when they aren't having runaway sales anymore. 48 percent of large buisness users are still on 2000 server/2000Pro and still are balking at upgrading.

Microsofts answer to this? Cut off 2000 support!

Microsoft will get more aggressive about "Windows Activation" and "Genuine Advantage" when Vista comes out. I know this as a fact. This is the way they play.

Edited by g52ultra, 26 August 2005 - 12:21 AM.

Anybody know where John Titors's '66 Vette is (or was, or will be)?

#4 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:43 AM

I know they will continue this activation thing but as far as i'm concerned it's a waste of time. The first activation came out in Xp was hacked out and is still done in XP SP2. Even office XP and 2003 were hacked even before they were oficially released. It's so easy to hack a office or windows. I'm sure microsoft know that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users