Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cutter

cutter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:38 PM

Evening everyone...This post is a variation of a previous post in the hardware discussion board and I didn't know if it would be helpful to put part of the question here as well. I'll apologize in advance if I am asking too vague, difficult to understand questions or if it is not approriate to seek help in this way. I have a computer built by a friend who cant work on it anymore b/c of a recent move. I currently have a 4 gig hard drive and want to replace it with a 41.1 gig ( 40 gig? ) Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 model #HDS728040PLAT20. I am running Windows XP-Home OPS. Finally, once the new drive is physically in the case and hooked up, how do I go about formatting or partioning the new drive ( Cutter ducks and waits to make sure that no one throws anything at him...waiting...waiting ...) I know BIOS is involved but am not sure how to go about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:55 PM

The Hard Drive that you are installing, is it new? if so, it should have instructions included. If not, then I would go to the manufacturer's website and look them up.

There are factors, such as jumpers and formatting software, that are specific to the exact hard drive model. So, it's kind of hard to generalize...so check with the manufacturer.

Here are a few links to Common Hard Drive Manufacturers:

Western Digital:
http://www.wdc.com/

Maxtor:
http://www.maxtor.com/

Seagate:
http://www.seagate.com/

Samsung:
http://www.samsungelectronics.com/hdd/index.html
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:49 AM

That drive ships with the jumpers set as a master by default according to this Hitachi page. Hitachi also offers this Simple Installation Guide v1.3 - English and this Partitioning and Formatting Reference Guide v1.1. The second guide has instructions for 2000 and XP and though the screenshots are of 2000, XP is very similar.

When you first turn on your computer after the drive is installed press Delete to enter the Bios and under the Main or Advanced page check to see that the drive is recognized. If there is a Boot Page in the Bios you can set the machine to boot from the CD Drive there. Press F10 (usually) to save the changes and exit. Your XP disk will do the rest. Just follow the prompts.

Read through those pages and post back if you have any further questions.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users