Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fire_poi

fire_poi

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

Seem to be having some problem with my power cable. If I am running my computer under battery power it works fine. As soon as I as plug it in the computer shuts down. If I am running on the power cable (which only works sometimes ) and I move the computer it turns off. Right now I turned it on and it was working with AC power but the battery is not charging. Is this a problem with the motherboard - have heard somethings that need to have something soldered at the female end of the power connection. Or is it an issue with my power cable - will be replacing that anyways as was having problems with that anyways

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

What happens if you remove your laptop's battery pack and run on the wall plug only? Does it still have the same shutdown problems? If not, it's probably having problems switching between battery and plug power. If yes, then it's probably a mobo issue.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 fire_poi

fire_poi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:03 AM

currently I am using the laptop without the battery in it. If I move the power cable the wrong way the computer turns off right away. I have a new power cable coming soon so that might solve the issue? Or do I need to get the Mobo soldered?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

My guess is yes. The connection where the cord plugs in is broken at the mobo.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 fire_poi

fire_poi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

i did get an error on startup saying it could not identify the power adapter

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, your PSU is going out. Your new one should fix the problems, but let us know if it doesn't. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

Whats the make and model of laptop?