Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus not letting me log on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stepbarnes

stepbarnes

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

Ran Malwarebytes, AVG, avast and vundofix and nothing works. Now I can't logon to the computer. It will take me to the user selection screen (which it never did before) and when I chose the one and only user, it will say "loading settings" then will immediately say"logging off". There must be something in my operating system. Please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:08 AM

the user selection screen ....... when I chose the one and only user, it will say "loading settings" then will immediately say"logging off".

You are experiencing what is commonly called the Logon/Logoff Loop, usually induced by an anti-malware program removing an infected but necessary Windows system file.

The procedure at the following link will most likely get your system back up and running again ...
Fix Windows XP Logon/Logoff Loop ..... thinkinginpixels
http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...onlog-off-loop/

Good luck.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 sunshinydays

sunshinydays

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

AustrAlien,

Hi! I am so grateful that you posted the above reply to stepbarnes...I utilized everything that was on the post, and now my computer is up and running!

Happy New Year!
Sunshinydays

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

AustrAlien,
Hi! I am so grateful that you posted the above reply to stepbarnes...I utilized everything that was on the post, and now my computer is up and running!

sunshinydays

So pleased that you posted with your excellent result: It makes my day too! Happy New Year !!!

That has got to be the best "value for money" link I have ever come across, and yet it seems to remain obscure and "un-find-able" to such a lot victims and their helpers (some of whom choose not to use it). I will try harder to address that issue!

Best wishes,
'Alien

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 January 2010 - 09:35 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 stepbarnes

stepbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

Unfortunately, my computer would not boot in safe mode and I do not have access to another computer to burn the disks needed to restore my operating system. Any other suggestions? If not, I guess my poor little computer is down for the count and I'm stuck using my Blackberry for limited access.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

my computer would not boot in safe mode and I do not have access to another computer to burn the disks needed

That makes things difficult.

Do you have a friend with a computer that could download the 2 necessary .ISO files and burn them to CDs for you?

Do you have an XP installation CD that you could use to load the XP Recovery Console?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users