Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSIE hijacked by gsgfdh.com, virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TuckBone

TuckBone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

First off, I'm running Windows Vista Home, SP 1. I'm using MSIE 8.0.

The descriptive story:
My girlfriend was searching google for some apartments around town on her laptop. Next thing I know she asks me to take a look, and it's one of those "You're infected with a virus" sites and wants her to download some crappy program for ONLY 24.99! so you click cancel, and it says "you're still infected" with an ok button that goes back to the same window with only ok, download. So I did a CTRL-ALT-DEL and ended the msie application. Restarted explorer for her and now every time I click on a link it redirects to a completely different website. It seems to be rotating through a list of random websites to make some guy some money. In the status bar down on the bottom I can see it redirecting though a website named www.gsgfdh.com (sometimes www.gsgfdh.net) and then on to whatever website gsgfdh wants me to go. the ONLY way for me to navigate through IE is to manually type in a website in the address bar. I installed firefox on her laptop as a workaround, but i'd like to fix this and get whatever was put or changed on the laptop OFF of it.

Things i've tried:
scanning with adaware
scanning with Microsofts Malware program
scanning with Norton 360
deleting the Hosts file from system32
reinstalling MSIE 8.0
doing a search in regedit for gsgfdh
runing gmer (which crashes out in standard, as administrator, and in safe mode)

I have always considered myself fairly competent at computers, but this is kickin my but. I'm calling in the reinforcements here guys. I would really appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks in advance!
-Tuck

EDIT: I moved this topic to a more appropriate forum ~ Elise

Edited by elise025, 31 December 2009 - 08:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TuckBone

TuckBone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

Update: I've used hijackthis.de which does a scan on your computer including registry for known malicious entries. Still there.. I've also started up msconfig and looked through all the running processes and startup options, and i don't see anything outright wrong anywhere. Still stuck.. :-/

#3 poppie_01

poppie_01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

I am having the same problem and tried most everything you have to no avail.

#4 poppie_01

poppie_01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

Well this worked for me ( for now ) - uninstall the IE 8 update: Control Panel>Programs and Features>View installed updates and uninstall Window IE 8. After restarting IE is version 7 and does not redirect - I suppose I could re-install IE 8. Seems odd that there is not more information out there about this browser hijacker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users