Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning a vintage knife

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

I recently found a vintage Boy Scout knife, fixed blade, made by Western Knives. It's over 50 years old. If you're a connoisseur, it's Settler style. It was covered in food, and had a rust spot. I searched online, how to clean a stainless steel knife (I assumed it was stainless steel since it had not rusted for 50 years). It recommended soaking the blade in vinegar, which I did. To my agony, I pulled the knife out of the vinegar to find a dark gray, rubber-like coating on the entire blade. I tried to scrub it off, with slight success, but its silvery finish was ruined. I then pulled out the silver polish/tarnish remover, hoping to get off this tarnish-like coating. When I wiped off the liquid of the silver polish, I was unhappy to find that the gray layer had not been lifted, instead the silver polish had added darker-gray spots to the knife. Now it looks like a leopard! I did not imagine that vinegar and tarnish-remover would ruin such a hardy knife, but here I am, completely stumped. I want to use something to clean this up, but the next thing I use will cover it in rainbows and rust away half the blade. I have NO idea what the blade's made of. Can you help me clean this knife?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hello Ryan. My experience ( Tho no expert ) is that some of that discoloring is normal. These are most likely Carbon Steel not Stainless.
Look at these pix of that knife. That effect is a natural occurance. I believe it's called black oxide.
http://www.jaysknives.com/boyscoutknives.htm

I asked a friend of mine who teaches sword fighting about blades. He said in many cases a carbon blade should be made grey a prorective " patina."
He showed me this link.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4358889
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

This is very interesting, glad to know it's a different kind of blade. I am disappointed though, it was a beautiful knife when it was shiny. Now it looks old. And on your first link, that's almost the exact knife, though there were a couple tiny discrepancies. But watevs. You hit the nail on the head, thanks a lot. Now I just need to find out if it's save to remove the patina.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

Well go with carbon Steel
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

Carbon steel is reactive. Good carbon steel darkens in reaction to acids and oxidizers in food. Rust of course is an oxidation process too, but in the first case you get FeO3, a "black rust" and in the second case you get FeO2, a "red rust."

Black rust is stable and durable. also, if oiled (cooking oil or grease from meats will do fine) black oxide "sets" and stabilizes the surface of the steel -- helping to prevent further rust.

A fine carbon steel knife will and rightly should develop a fine, blue/grey/black patina. You don't want to remove this surface. It's a desirable trait of a fine carbon steel blade.

Nonetheless, carbon steel blades discolor some foods -- eggs for example. I've never had a problem with fish, but I suppose fish might discolor from a reactive carbon blade.

Daphne duLibre is an online name -- It's a pun on a classic European bike race, the Dauphine du Libre. I'm a guy. My knife knowledge comes from a huge collection of hunting, utility, pocket knives, tool steel, and firearms finishes.

I have an old Case 8" French, and a Sabbatier with carbon blades, as well as a sizable collection of carbon blade pocket, hunting, utility knives.

I stand corrected. Thanks boopme.

#6 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

a bench grinder with a buffing wheel and jewelers rouge will make it shine like the original blade did other wise you will probably get more chemical reactions with other compounds

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

Thanks! I was wary of using any buffing tools, my mom almost Brillo'd the thing before I stopped her! But you're pretty much right, that knife's a portable chemistry set. Need to keep that in mind.

#8 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

You could try baking soda with just enough water to make a paste, apply let set some time (hours?)and rub with a very fine steel wool. This worked for me with a brass ceiling light.

#2 try lemon juice. let set for some time, may remove stains.This has worked for me on many things such as the sticky labels they put on your new computer etc. removes glue without digging or scratching

#3 try Barkeepers Friend

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

Well I gotta say I'm going to avoid #2. I've read up on the subject, and apparently a ghetto way to get the patina we talked about is to cut fruit and forget to clean the knife. Additionally, the white vinegar I used to get the initial gray ugliness was an acid. Think I'll look for a non-acidic solution. If I apply a base, will it do that 'invert' thing they have in Photoshop? Cuz a spotted white blade would look really cool!

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:36 AM

Try using a very fine grit sandpaper. Lightly rub it and see if it helps at all. I have a favorite kitchen knife that tends to rust, and 220 sandpaper is what I use to de-rust it.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

Toothpaste, not gel, and a worn out tooth brush. Non-fluoride if you can find it.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

Collectors prefer to have the patina
Watch the Antique Roadshow. When someone cleans up a Civil War bayonet, the curators freak out
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users