Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite L300 BIOS Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ChapperZHTID

ChapperZHTID

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Hello Everyone.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L300 laptop running windows xp professional (downgrade from vista). Everything was running fine until I stupidly updated the BIOS from version 1.80 to 2.10 and no my laptop wont work it wont get to the windows load up, it wont even go to safe mode or reinstall operating system. I know the issue is upgrading the bios from 1.80 to 2.10 but how can I if possible change back to 1.80 or how can I fix this problem. A free solution preferred but would appreciate if I had to take it to a shop or what might need replacing if i cant change the bios. I don't know about the bios i know a fair amount on pc's

All help will be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance

The BIOS is a Insyde H2o that's all i know about the BIOS if you need more info on laptop i can give it to you.

Again please help and i appreciate all support and help i can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

Was the BIOS updation process (1.80 to 2.10) interrupted in anyway?

Updating the BIOS is NEVER RECOMMENDED unless you have a specific compatibility/hardware issue that is addressed by the update.
If something goes wrong during the upgrade/downgrade process of the BIOS, you'll have an expensive paperweight for yourself.

However, you can always take it to the Service Centre and get it checked, replacing the motherboard if necessary.

If you still want to attempt downgrading, go through these links:

BIOS Downgrade

BIOS Downgrade 2

Edited by ReviverSoft, 30 December 2009 - 07:57 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 ChapperZHTID

ChapperZHTID
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:52 AM

Hello. Thank you for taking you time to respond. The update was not interrupted in anyway it came up updating erasing and writing new data and restart at the end automatically and then it loads back up with blue screen.

I would like to try get it fixed myself to try save money but if I can't fix it i shall take it to be repaired.

Do the 2 links below downgrade my laptop bios to 1.80 as I don't understand much about the bios with what one to download if that makes sense.

Thank you

**Just been reading forums whilst waiting and i found this i not sure if i can use it to downgrade to 1.80 can someone verify

Hi guys,

Have seen requests for some Toshiba A305 models, but not all are the same. Kindly ask someone to take care of mine Posted Image.
This model came with Vista HP x64, W7 x64 will be tested.

-Manufacturer: "TOSHIBA"
-Model: "Satellite A305-S6857"
-Motherboard ?: "PSAG0U"
-SLIC Version: Seems to be 2.0
-Bios revision: "1.80"
-Bios Type: "INSYDE"
-Bios Download Link: ACPI Flash BIOS (v1.80 03-24-2009)
-RW Everything Report Download Link: AcpiTbls_Toshiba Satellite A305 with PSAG0U (Attached also)

Edited by ChapperZHTID, 31 December 2009 - 05:25 AM.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

This may or may not be what you are looking for:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

FWIW, flashing BIOS can be a little tricky sometimes....If it ain't broke ...Don't fix it!!!
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 ChapperZHTID

ChapperZHTID
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hello.

I have found the BIOS i need but how do i step by step use it on my laptop. as it wont start up or go into safe mode or anything.

Many thanks!

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:46 AM

You need to select a version that you can make a bootable disk from...Floppy, CD, or possibly USB...Download that version...Put it on bootable media...Load it and start your computer...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 ChapperZHTID

ChapperZHTID
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hello. I had a response from Toshiba and it has fixed the problem. They told me to do the following

If you have been experiencing the problem since upgrading the BIOS then potentially the fault could be caused by incorrect BIOS settings on your machine.

The error message that is being displayed (0x0000007B) can be caused by a missing or bad boot sector. This is the part of the operating system that is accessed when the laptop is trying to load Windows.

What we would suggest is to load to the BIOS by starting the laptop and pressing F2 and then loading the BIOS setup defaults by pressing the F9 key. Then navigate to the ‘Advanced’ tab by pressing the right arrow key and navigate to the ‘SATA Controller Mode’ setting (if applicable).

This will need to be changed from ‘AHCI’ to ‘Compatibility’. Once this has been done, pressing F10 will save these changes and restart the machine.

If you can load to the BIOS this would suggest that the BIOS update was successful and that the Hard Drive is at fault. If this is the case then we would suggest running a full system recovery as detailed in the previous email.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for posting your solution...it seems that changing a single BIOS setting created/solved your situation.

Louis

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

No mate, those links were only to show the possibility and process of downgrading your BIOS.
You'll need to get the right version of the BIOS from the Toshiba Support website.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#10 agentsunnyster

agentsunnyster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

"Hello. I had a response from Toshiba and it has fixed the problem. They told me to do the following

If you have been experiencing the problem since upgrading the BIOS then potentially the fault could be caused by incorrect BIOS settings on your machine.

The error message that is being displayed (0x0000007B) can be caused by a missing or bad boot sector. This is the part of the operating system that is accessed when the laptop is trying to load Windows.

What we would suggest is to load to the BIOS by starting the laptop and pressing F2 and then loading the BIOS setup defaults by pressing the F9 key. Then navigate to the ‘Advanced’ tab by pressing the right arrow key and navigate to the ‘SATA Controller Mode’ setting (if applicable).

This will need to be changed from ‘AHCI’ to ‘Compatibility’. Once this has been done, pressing F10 will save these changes and restart the machine.

If you can load to the BIOS this would suggest that the BIOS update was successful and that the Hard Drive is at fault. If this is the case then we would suggest running a full system recovery as detailed in the previous email. "

I joined only to promote this reply that saved my ass after almost 12 hours of looking for stranger and stranger solutions by every passing moment.

WHEN YOU UPGRADE YOUR BIOS ON A L300 (SATELLITE, and i guess this must be applicable to the whole satellite series at least); you need to change that 'SATA CONTROLLER MODE' setting to 'Compatibility'; and till its not done, HARD DISKS wont work no matter what you do.

I was about to flash my bios just before hopping onto this post..!
TOSHIBA SUCKS BIGTIME IN SUPPORT! but still, at least they gave a sensible reply to ChapperZHTID!
can sleep now..! :)

#11 bcaulfield

bcaulfield

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

I am using the very same computer right now (Toshiba Satellite L300). It is currently running Windows 7 on the old BIOS. The fact that you can get far enough to have a blue screen means that the BIOS is working correctly. Newer BIOS'es have the SATA controller set to AHCI mode by default. From past experience I have seen that this works fine with Windows Vista and Windows 7, but anything older will get a blue screen no matter what it is booting from (CD, Hard drive, flash stick).It is very possible that the newer version of the BIOS is set to AHCI mode by default, preventing Windows XP from starting. I once had an Acer desktop that I could not install Windows XP on. I eventually found out that changing the SATA controller from AHCI to compatibility (IDE) mode fixed the problem. To fix this problem, press F2 as soon as you see the TOSHIBA logo to enter the BIOS. Look for a tab that reads something like "advanced" and go to SATA controller mode. Press enter and select "IDE" or "Compatibility" and press enter. Exit the BIOS and remember to save changes. Windows should now be able to boot without even re-installing.
Mod Edit: Removed email address, protection from spambots...and undermines purpose of forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hello. I had a response from Toshiba and it has fixed the problem. They told me to do the following

If you can load to the BIOS this would suggest that the BIOS update was successful and that the Hard Drive is at fault. If this is the case then we would suggest running a full system recovery as detailed in the previous email.

Note the date of the post, please.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users