Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving photos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

i have 2100 photos on my old laptop that i would like to move to my new one. they are all stored in the "my pictures" file and i have an empty usb flash drive. does anyone know how i would do this?

thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bexx

Bexx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

I just plug my flash drive in, let my computer read it and normally the folder will open up automatically. If not go to My Computer and click on the flash drive, copy and paste your pictures into that folder that will open up for it. Once it's finished copying there will be a little icon in the bottom right hand corner with a green arrow, click on it and it should say "Safely Remove (the name of your flash drive)", click on that option, and then you can remove it and it will have your pictures on it.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Insert the flash drive into your old laptop. After the system finds and recognizes the drive
go to your pictures folder.
If your flash drive is big enough, you may be able to put all the pics on it at one time.
To do so, simply highlight the main folder My Pics.
At this point, I suggest you COPY the folder instead of moving it.
To copy, after you highlight the folder, look on the left side of the page under File and Folder Tasks.
Choose COPY. A dialog will open, tell it where to copy the folder to.
After the copy is complete, open up the flash drive, make sure the pictures copied.

Next hook it up to your new computer-copy or move the folder to My Pictures (this will give a My Pics subfolder within your main My Pics) OR open the folder, hit ctrl A at the same time to highlight the pictures, then move or copy them.
If you don't want to copy the main folder from your old laptop, you can also use ctrl A to highlight all the pics in order to get them onto your flash drive.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

How big is the folder containing all those photos?
This is just to determine if the flash drive you have, will be sufficient to hold that much data.

1. Connect the flash drive to your laptop.
2. Open the drive through My Computer
3. Go to My Pictures and copy the folder as such (or all the files inside)
4. Paste them in the flash drive.
5. Eject the flash drive
6. Connect the flash drive to your new PC.
7. Open it using My Computer
8. Copy the folder from the drive and paste it at the desired location of your new PC's hard disk.
8. Eject the drive.

It doesn't get any simpler than this. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 30 December 2009 - 05:56 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users