Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BAD_POOL_HEADER due to SonyFanC.sys

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eightgun

eightgun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

I used a disc of XP in my Sony Vaio desktop to boot from, and I wiped my partitions. Recently my computer would give me a blue screen error for BAD_POOL_HEADER, and restart. This happens constantly, now. Using bluescreenview, I was able to find the reason for my problem, and it was the SonyFanC.sys. I believe this is my fan drivers, with which I need to fix. I also believe that my drivers for the fan are incorrect now because I wiped the partitions. I googled SonyFanC.sys and found a file that has a SONYFANC.sys in it that I may be able to replace, but I am not sure if I should. I also found sony fan control drivers on their website, but for a different model for my own. When I searched for the same sony fan control drivers for MY model, which is what bluescreenview is telling me is causing the error, the site comes up with nothing. What should I do? Should I replace that SONYFANC.sys with my SonyFanC.sys in windows/drivers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

Well...you have to be careful in interpreting BSOD info.

What may appear to be a cause...may in fact just be the scene of the accident or a victim.

If you are convinced that you have the correct problem file...replace it with another.

Files that are named in BSODS often result in being named because they are damaged (which is logical, since these same files performed without problems until the BSOD).

For what it's worth...if you have a Sony system and install CD...there's no reason to search online for a replacement since it's on that CD.

Louis

#3 eightgun

eightgun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

I tried replacing the file and my computer is still blue screening while bluescreenview is still telling me that SonyFanC.sys is still causing the problem. Can anyone give me some direction?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

If you replaced the file you believe to be the problem...perhaps you need to do further analysis.

Do a search of your system for any/all .dmp files and then try to follow the procedures at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/ , for the last three .dmp files.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users