Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System Missing.......... :O

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

I used revo to uninstall that useless Pinnacle video editing software and the 200+ GB's of files and other junk associated with it. fter it ran, I used the revo tool that erases the unused space, IE permanently gets rid of, that those files used. I used Crap cleaner afterwards. I rebooted fine. I then started messing with my RAM voltages a little and when i went to boot I get, "Operating System Missing."

I have set my voltages back to levels at which the computer WAS working....... operating system missing
I have used the WD utility to check the hard drive, it checks out fine.
I have inserted my Vista installation disc (retail 64 bit Vista), and tried to do both a restore and and repair. "No operating system."
Bios sees the HDD as did the bootable WD HDD utility. I have an option in the repair (Vista disc) to load drivers, but what file is it that I use to load the drivers?

Any suggestions on how I can recover this HDD? While losing my data won't stop the world, I have about 2 years worth of articles I wrote that I don't want to lose along with my COD WAW profile lol, (not to mention some kick ass recipes I found over the last 18 month's lol). Besides, I'm hard headed and sick to death of the Microsoft typical "Reformat and re-install" method of fixing any minor OS problem. That's not a solution, that's dropping a nuke to get rids of a fly that's bothering you, sure the fly is gone but.............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

hi,,, wonder if this will work,,,, boot from the recovery disc and enter th e recovery console and do a system restore,,, if it lets you,,,,,,,
http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.c...stemrestore.htm
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:00 PM

1. Try a Repair Install using the Windows Setup Disc.
2. Don't worry about losing your data, it can easily be accessed and backed up.
3. If you hate Microsoft Windows, why not go the Linux (Ubuntu) way? :huh:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

Thanks figgis and Reviversoft, as I stated above, I've already tried both recovery and repair install but in both instances it gives back something along the lines of "no operaqting system." If I try repair install I get to a screen that says something along the lines of "if you don't see your OS listed here try to install drivers." (The last screenshot on your link i think figgis). I just don't know which file on the install disc is the drivers lol.

Reviver: I have unbuntu, redhat, and even a copy of Oracle Linux. WHY I have never installed them and used them is the mystery. I'm always gonna do it tomorrow lol............

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

If you have the device drivers ready, why not try a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows?

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

If you have the device drivers ready, why not try a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows?

Because I have about 2 years worth of articles and about half a book on there?

#7 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

put the hard drive in an enclusure and plugin to a working pc backup everything you need and then do a clean install

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

ko, try this,,,, boot from disc again and enter the recovery console again,, this time choose command prompt and run a system file check,,, this will check the os on the hdd (if it can find it) against your disc and replace everything thats missing, type into cmd,,,, sfc /scannow ,,,, take note of the space between the sfc and the / and press enter,,,,
im wondering,,, there could be mainly three causes. One is that the System Bios is not detecting the hard driver, or the Master Boot Record (MBR) is corrupted, or finally to say the Hard Disk has gone west! Check in the Bios, on main menu, under Primry Master if the HDD is detected or it looks 'None' there, if it's the case either your Bios has not detected the HDD or the HDD is failed. If you can see the HDD under Primary Master (make sure your seeing not the CD/DVD Drive), go for MBR repair.
boot from your disc again and enter the recovery console again and choose cmd again and type the command ,,, fixmbr ,,, hope this helps
good luck.

hi me again,,,, disregard the bit about fixing the MBR in command prompt as this is only for XP and its changed for vista,,, damn,,,

hi me again, again :huh:
i think i found it for vista,, wonder why they change things,,,,,
http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id39.html
hope this works,,,,
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 31 December 2009 - 06:15 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

Because I have about 2 years worth of articles and about half a book on there?

You can easily backup all your files!
Either using a LiveCD or by connecting the HD to another computer.

#10 pat71896

pat71896

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

Is there a Clean Install method? just one succint instruction? I am also considering te system restore as noted above.

Here are my isses: When I type an email, typing is a problem. Rather than typing, I have to press a letter multiple times. I had my Internet connection reset, no help.

And, my personal favorite: when attempting to associate a default program for jpg, gif, etc., I get the "RUNDLL32 has stopped working."

I am at my wits end. I have uninstalled a dozen or more programs which I was told was the cause - conflict.

I even asked about RUNDLL32 here in the forum about 2 weeks ago. No responses. I bought Registry Patrol - and trying to get my money back because it made the problem worse (slower PC, not responding, and others.)

Thank you for any help. My HP Laptop, Vista Home Premium, 32 bit is only 6 months old. I am considering reformating the HD with a great deal of dread.
And, yes I have a backup.
Pat :huh:

Edited by pat71896, 02 January 2010 - 06:06 PM.

#11 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:13 AM

hi ,,, your problem is Registry Patrol,,, its a rogue piece of software,,, it is the virus its self,,, they usually do free scans and find all sorts of things then promise to get rid of it all if you pay for the full version of the app,,,
http://www.pc1news.com/virus/registry-patrol.html
you need to post in the security section of this site in the "am i infected" forum, make a fresh thread and do not tack your issue on to the end of someone else's posts,,, this is known as hijacking a thread and is frowned upon
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#12 pat71896

pat71896

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

Sorry about the hijack. I thought I might be using one of the answers, therefore was attached correctly. I felt that starting a new thread was not needed.

Registry Patrol instantly refunded my money, so I was glad for that.

I will start a new thread.

Thanks for input, Pat :huh:

#13 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

hi,,, glad to see you got your money back and good luck with your issue,,,, please be patient with the security staff/members as you can imagine they are very busy,,,, but they are very thorough and very good,,, you will be in good hands :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#14 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

Is there a Clean Install method? just one succint instruction? I am also considering te system restore as noted above.

Clean install simply refers to formatting(erasing) the C: drive and carrying out a fresh installation of the Windows OS.
This usually fixes most problems and all you will need is the Windows Setup Disk to get started.

#15 pat71896

pat71896

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Thank you for that info. It is helpful to me.

I still don't have a clue as to how to fix either problem. The (Internet only) keyboard problem is the strangest. Off the Net, no keyboard problems.

Thank you again! Pat :huh: (I love the emoticons here!!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users