Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OE Address Book has 2300 plus addresses!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 leahintexas

leahintexas

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

We know better now, but we thought "virtual clutter" didn't matter.

In Outlook Express, we kept every message ever sent or received for years!

My brother, who told me about this great forum (hi, Jim!), sternly but lovingly told me to get our 30,000+ emails down to 300. We're working on it! (We had some legal problems and we need to keep some of them, but we're making documents and he told me about pdfforge.)

Well, we also had the option checked to save every address that we sent email to. (That option is unchecked now.)

I understand that the capacity for OE address book is about 1600 addresses.

So that long introduction leads up to these questions:

Any hints or tips to trim the addresses? I've already gone through and deleted some just by skimming. We've got a big job ahead of us and any tips would be appreciated.

How can we do a better job of managing our address book in the future?

Thanks so much!

Leah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

Any hints or tips to trim the addresses? I've already gone through and deleted some just by skimming. We've got a big job ahead of us and any tips would be appreciated.
Leah

When you skimmed through the addresses, did you remove them one-by-one? If so, there is an easier way.
Open up OE, then open your address book.
Hold down the ctrl key, click on the address to be deleted.
Keep holding down ctrl, keep clicking on the addresses.
After you have some highlighted, RIGHT click, choose delete, confirm that you want to delete them.

I don't know of any way to do a mass delete other than what I've told you. Someone else may be able to tell you how to speed the process along.

In the future, instead of automatically saving addresses to your address book, you can instead do this:

Open up the received message, click on TOOLS in the message.
Choose Add to Address book, then pick Sender.

#3 leahintexas

leahintexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for the hint. I am also going to explore the possibility of starting a new address book and as we add an email to the new one, deleting it from the old. Then we'd have fewer to deal with. Need to look into this option!

Leah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users