Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this desktop a good deal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kickassdrummer

kickassdrummer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...671&topnav=

I've never done anything in terms of building a machine before, so I'm more inclined to buy a pre-built. I think this is a machine made exclusively for Costco, as I can't find anything about it on the web. Thoughts on the specs and price? To be used for general purposes (surfing, etc.), music recording and editing, and some light gaming.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

My only reservation would be the video card. But if you're not into high-end gaming or graphics rendering, then it should be more than adequate. Though you may want to add a couple hundred more gigabytes worth of hard drive, but that's entirely my opinion there.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:59 PM

I have to ask...who are you going to turn to for support?

My impression for anything described as a "boutique build" is that...no one is going to be accountable when things go wrong.

http://www.velocitymicro.com/

I may have just missed it, but I find it hard to have confidence in a manufacturer's website...that doesn't include any sign of support functionality for what is being sold.

Louis

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

The GT220 I'm guessing, is equivalent to the 9500GT which is close to pointless, considering today's options.
Take a look at this chart to find out how the GT220 ranks:
PassMark Software High End Video Cards

My suggestion would be to buy an AMD based quad-core system with integrated (or a poor gfx card) graphics and add a good graphics card (and PSU if needed) next.

How far on the budget are you willing to go, for the entire system?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 30 December 2009 - 04:03 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users