Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beep Code = Cache Test Failure?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chickenman25

chickenman25

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I apologise if I have posted this thread in the wrong section.

I own a Dell Inspiron 530S with Windows Vista. The computer was "sleeping" and when I came back to it, it gave me a beep code of 4-4-4 which, according to the Dell manual, indicates a cache test failure. Now whenever I turn it on I'm greeted by those four unpleasant short beeps and a blank screen

I have scoured the internet for solutions but have been unable to find anything. A friend reccomended hitting the f12 key repeatedly to get a Dell Advanced Boot Menu and try and fix it from there but nothing seems to be appearing on the screen.

I'm normally quite good at solving these puzzles on my own but this one has really stumped me. Any solutions? Any potential causes that I should be aware of in the future?

Any help, however small will be appreciated
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

The first thing I would recommend to try with this machine would be to remove and reseat the memory in the motherboard.

Dell has provided some very good reading here about installation of memory in the 530S Series Inspiron.

Let us know if this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users