Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe creates multiple internet connections

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bitpicker1011

bitpicker1011

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi,

Almost daily I notice my Local Area Connection icon in systray will become totally blue because of constant activity. When I run TCPView I will see dozens of connections to the internet created by exlorer.exe.

The local address for these connections is always dell1.mass.rr.com:xxxx (some port). Mass.rr.com is the domain of my email account. The remote address is typically some URL I don't recognize.

I can break the connections with TCPView but usually I run Malwarebytes anti-malware. It finds some small number of malware or trojans, I intruct it to fix selected and reboot. The problem will be gone for a while but returns. I haven't determined what action if any causes the problem to return but if I leave the computer idle for a day after fixing it will typically still be OK. But after normal internet surfing the problem comes back. Maybe starting IE kicks off the problem I don't know. I'm running XP professional and McAfee.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bitpicker1011

bitpicker1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

I had been running Malwarebytes anti-malware tool and it would only correct the problem for a while. I finally updated it and ran it again and I seem to be ok now - it found and corrected lots more after the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users