Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijacked, CLeaned and now Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cc11cc

cc11cc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

I was hijacked by a rouge malware called "Privacy Center". Malwarebytes cleaned it, and my Dell Laptop, using Windows XP Prof appeared to be running fine. After the Malware was gone, Windows Media Player would no longer open and I could not download the free McAfee security package from Comcast. Any files that used Windows Media Player would no longer open. If I changed the file to open with a different media player they opened fine. I tried re-installing Media Player but it didnt work. I deleted it through Control panel, and re-installed to no avail. This morning I may have made things worse, as I tried to re-install windows XP hoping that it would fix the problem. I now have two copies of XP prof, one that seems to be OK but is associated with none of my files, and the broken one.

I had been using AVG Free Virus software, and a product called Spyware Terminator. They worked well for 5 years but then failed. I now use the paid version of Malwarebytes, and would like to download the McAfee package, but it wont install, even in safemode.

If there is someone who can guide me through a fix, that would be great. I also wouldn't mind re-formatting my entire disk and starting over, as I have everyhting backed up, and have all my software.

Thank you,

Cappy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cc11cc

cc11cc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

I just read the post about ComboFix on the main screen of this site. I worked with an excellent tech at MalwareBytes, that helped me clean my issue. I am wondering if the ComboFix issue, is what is causing my laptop to not work correctly, or has the Combofix issue been resolved?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users