Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Personal Security (Uninstall Guide)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TTeddy

TTeddy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...rsonal-security

With regards to this guide.
Can this be performed in Safe mode??
Reason I ask is that I'm unable to do anything in normal mode. I can't open anything or run anything.

In saying that, I have followed the guide in safe mode (downloading to a portable Hard drive first) with no success. In following the links to Grinlers "Preparation Guide for use before posting about your potential Malware problem" and downloading the DDS.....can this be run in safe mode?

If none of these removal progams cen be run in safe mode, then what am I to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

If you cannot run MBAM or complete a scan in normal mode, then try performing a Quick Scan in "safe mode".

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM but sometimes there is no alternative but to do a safe mode scan. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally and try rescanning again.

Note if installing in safe mode: For the same reasons indicated above, installing MBAM in safe mode is not advised. However, we understand in some instances there may be no other choice. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 TTeddy

TTeddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:44 AM

Thank you.
I have run the rkill almost 200 times in safe mode but just can't seem to catch the "Personal Security" rogue. I have been somewhat patient.
I guess I will be persistant.
Difficult when you can't open anything in normal mode. If something does open, it tells me that I don't have the authority, even though I'm doing it as administrator.

.......if and when I can get some progress in safe mode, I most certainly will re-run them in normal mode .. if possible.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has been updated to v1.43. Please download and install the most current version from here.
You may have to reboot after updating in order to overwrite any "in use" protection module files.

#5 TTeddy

TTeddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Thanks...I was told to run rkill first, with no luck as yet!...sigh

A question about Malwarebytes Anti-Malware....I'm running on Windows Vista 32 bit and once I get it running 100% I'll be running AVG for the anti virus. Will Malwarebytes Anti-Malware run along side AVG?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

Will Malwarebytes Anti-Malware run along side AVG?

Yes.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using them as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using any of their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

#7 T-Squared

T-Squared

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

Hello:

I am having the same troubles as TTeddy.

I have been repeatedly trying to open up rkill.exe to rid my PC of "Personal Security", but to no avail. I see the black DOS screen of rkill.exe try and open up, but in a split-second it just disappears. The day before yesterday, I tried downloading rkill.exe via the internet; when that didn't work, I had our IT guys at work download rkill.exe and associated files onto a flash drive. I have been trying all morning to run rkill.exe from the flash drive, but as descried above, it doesn't seem to fully execute. Could "Personal Security" have mutated to defend against rkill.exe? Are there any other options, techniques?

Thanks for any advice or assistance you can offer in this regard. T-Squared.

#8 T-Squared

T-Squared

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hello:

A quick follow-up to my last post (and cry for help) regarding the spyware/malware "Personal Security". On another site, I read the following:

'Michael Ditkowsky December 26th, 2009 at 10:45 pm

The program doesn’t let you download any software. We sent a message to the company that created Personal Security on the “customer service” link that we would track them down and sue them for attacking our kids computer. They emailed this solution and it worked in less than one minute. We still downloaded and ran an antispyware program afterwards to make sure nothing remained. This was their response which worked:

“Dear customer,
Thank you for contacting Customer Support Center.
Please follow my instructions to uninstall the program:

Paste the following string to Windows Explorer address bar and execute it (Press Enter key):
C:\Program Files\Common Files\PSecurityUninstall\Uninstall

or

1. Open My computer, choose Disk C;
2. Find Program Files=>Common Files=>PSecurityUninstall=>Uninstall
3. Run the file Uninstall.lnk

After that our product will be removed.Sometimes it takes more than one try to remove the product due to temporary technical difficulties, so please try to do it several times.
If you have any questions concerning our software, please contact our Customer Support Service.

With best wishes,

Customer Support Team”'

I was skeptical at first, it sounded too good to be true. And, you know the saying -- "If it is too good to be true, it probably is." Well, being at my wits ended, I decided to give it a try and it worked. My desktop icons came back; I checked via my control panel if Personal Security was in the installed programs listing, and it was gone; my WORD and Adobe programs worked, albeit slowly, but this I think has more to do with my PC being over 10 years old and the memory near exhaustion. Right now, I have been running the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program for about 30 minutes on quick scan and found 13 infections that I will see are removed post haste. (I am writing this on an iMac.)

Anyhow Take Care and have a Happy New Year,

T-Squared

#9 TTeddy

TTeddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

Simple as that huh...So far so good for me.

I uninstalled Personal Security in safe mode. Restarted in normal mode and it just hung when I tried opening my computer to check to see if PS was gone. I held the start button down to shut her down and after a few, restarted her again in safe mode. The Personal Security was still there, so I uninstalled it again. After restarting her everything seems fine. I'm now updating her AVG and will run a full scan.

My daughters laptop is only one year old...seems too young to die..lol

Edited by TTeddy, 02 January 2010 - 10:52 AM.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Personally, I never trust any company that deliberately distributes malware. Though the base rogue program may be uninstalled easily sometimes, it is rare that the malware that comes bundled with it allows it or doesnt reinstall it.

Personally, I think you got lucky this time :thumbsup:

#11 TTeddy

TTeddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

I agree Grinler. hmmmm..I guess time will tell....it did take a day or two to take effect...

I have always practiced safe internet and educate my children on how to keep safe while surfing the internet.
One year ago I purchsed them both a laptop and with it came McFee for a period of time. Once that ran out I put AVG trial on them both. Well that ran out and they never reminded me.

My daughter went to a cheat site for a PS game and subsequently picked up this "Personal Security" Rogue. She has learnt a lesson. They now both have the full version of AVG running.
I have had AVG for a couple of years now after it was recommended to me, and it seems to be reliable enough for my needs but for the children, they may need something extra.

I think it boils down to educating them on what is safe and what is not.

Thank you quietman7 for sharing.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Edited by TTeddy, 03 January 2010 - 06:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users