Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video game installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brodywagner

Brodywagner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:28 AM

:thumbsup: I Just got a new computer and wanted to play a game called Everquest (the reason i got the computer) I have the newest Emachine and my uncle has a new Dell. The Emachine runs on Windows 7, the Dell windows vista. I installed the game with no problems but because the game is an MMO it requires to be updated. I called station game support and they told me if i turned of the firewall while the game updated it should work. Needless to say it did not. I think i have some kind of firewall that is hidden that keeps me from downloading the updates but without the updates i cant play. If you have ever played everquest then you understand that there is a patcher befor you play. After that you sign in and it updates any new expansions you've recently bought. Well mine wont completly update. its starts to update but after the first update it says update complete(which it isnt) It shows up in bars like this
(Play)
(___][___][___][___) <(update or download bar)
( my acount )
(game options)
( preferences )
(Purchase expansions)
(full scan) (update log)
upgrade textures
but instead of saying (play) mine always says (updating). Can someone please help me. Sorry about the spelling.

EDIT: Moved from vista to games~~boopme

Edited by boopme, 30 December 2009 - 12:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:44 AM

:thumbsup: I Just got a new computer and wanted to play a game called Everquest (the reason i got the computer) I have the newest Emachine and my uncle has a new Dell. The Emachine runs on Windows 7, the Dell windows vista. I installed the game with no problems but because the game is an MMO it requires to be updated. I called station game support and they told me if i turned of the firewall while the game updated it should work. Needless to say it did not. I think i have some kind of firewall that is hidden that keeps me from downloading the updates but without the updates i cant play. If you have ever played everquest then you understand that there is a patcher befor you play. After that you sign in and it updates any new expansions you've recently bought. Well mine wont completly update. its starts to update but after the first update it says update complete(which it isnt) It shows up in bars like this
(Play)
(___][___][___][___) <(update or download bar)
( my acount )
(game options)
( preferences )
(Purchase expansions)
(full scan) (update log)
upgrade textures
but instead of saying (play) mine always says (updating). Can someone please help me. Sorry about the spelling.

Since this is a game related issue, you will need to do some things:

I would Check out the Forums for Everquest and ask your problem there. Also You might try to Contact support for more help, you might have to download the programs separately and install the patch that way. I did that for one of my games not sure how the patch file got corrupted in the first place, in my case.

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#3 Brodywagner

Brodywagner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

Nevermind i have figured it out but i will leave the steps for anyone who has this problem.

1) Get the latest Vista video card drivers for card. nVidia has had driver
problems.
2) Set comptability mode for the program to Windows XP SP 2. Right click on
the program exe file and set the comptability mode.
3) Some older programs need to be run as administrator to work properly.
Right click and pick run as administrator from the menu.
4) Get the latest Direct X9 runtime libary from the MS download center.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
5) There is also a program compatability update on the MS website.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

Thanks, Brodywagner, for taking the time to post how you solved the problem. Others may have the same problem, and your solution could save them a lot of time and headaches.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users