Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powers up-then don't know

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 workin2hard

workin2hard

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

computer powers up but nothing works
I checked above topic.

A friend has tried to install new ram. Old RAM is (Infineon HYS64D64329GU-6-A, 64Mx64 SDRAM 512, DDR 166MHz, CL2.5).
The computer doesn't work anymore.
Looking at the internals the mother board has a green led that glows when the power cord is connected, it is near the CMOS battery.
This is was happens with the push of the power button;
Power supply light comes on, (when new ram [AVANT AVM6428U52C533KB-NYCP; 1GB DDR DIMM 333MHZ ROHS] was installed, with the old) it beeped 3 times; nothing else, but the fan on the cpu runs. the keyboard (the led lights flash during the power up) and montior (connected to a PCI card) won't functon. The monitor dispays a module with the following : analog, then changes to, digital. A couple of times then the screen goes blank.
Then we tried it again after removing the new RAM, just using the old RAM.
It beeped once, with the same results.
To shut it down I have to hold the power button button.
I think I hear the HD and cpu, but the owner sayes it's not sounding as loud (clicking noises) as before, so maybe not working.
For more info on the sytem, I've contacted Gateway via email, hopefully an answer will come.
This is what I've gathered:
Gateway
Win XP home
Processor;
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GZ
PS/2 millenium keyboard
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV/E Processor to AGP controller-2561 (don't know if this is the cpu)
PCI card Nvidia 180-10071-0000-A06 (info off card) P/N6002191; S/N B0212017835.

Hope this isn't too long, any suggestions on how to progress towards a solution?
Thanks your your time.
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vortex-19103

Vortex-19103

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:14 AM

simple is always better.

did the computer work before the memory upgrade?

New ram does not work, does old ram work?

Make sure memory is seated, you may have to take out and blow out with air compressor or canned air

check all power connectors, make sure no connectors are loose and touching any exposed headers or metal (most dell/hp& gateway computers come with black molex protectors on the ends of the connectors to prevent electrical shorts

if all checks out, then start pulling devices,
pull cd
reboot...if no boot
pull dvd, then floppy, then hard drive, you should at least get bios,

if video is aftermarket, do you have integrated, if so pull video, switch back to internal/integrated, also, blow out all connectors

let me know what happened.

V

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

I hear the HD and cpu, but the owner sayes it's not sounding as loud (clicking noises) as before

Clicking noises from a hard drive is a sign that it is getting ready to go belly up
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 workin2hard

workin2hard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

Vortex-19103
Hi;
Yes the comp worked prior to installing new RAM.
Neither will work now, can't get anything to work, just the cpu fan.
yep, checked to make sure seated, all RAM and cards, cables.
disconnected, still no go.
I've learned that this manufacture uses cheap parts and a power supply may resolve this problem. Tomorrow will go purchase one.
I wish to thank for your reply and any future suggestions.

qarmanma
Hi;
yep, if that is were the noise is coming from, I agree.
I apologize for not being more specific, the clicking I was trying to discribe is the noise made while the cpu goes through its pace.
Thanks for your reply.

#5 MBCT

MBCT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

Old RAM is Infineon HYS64D64329GU-6-A, 64Mx64 SDRAM 512, DDR 166MHz, CL2.5.
New RAM is AVANT AVM6428U52C533KB-NYCP; 1GB DDR DIMM 333MHZ ROHS

Theres your problem. You can't swap 166mhz for 333mhz. Two completely different speeds and modules and probably not supported by your motherboard. The only way to check is to enter the BIOS and see if you can manually change the speeds.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

Can you mention the model number? Gateway _________ ?
My guess is that you bought an unsupported RAM module or a flaky one at that.

EDIT:

@MBCT

Both Infineon HYS64D64329GU-6-A and AVANT AVM6428U52C533KB-NYCP are PC2700 (333Mhz) DDR modules.

The problem lies with the Infineon being Non-ECC (like most others) and the Avant coming with ECC.
Older board might not support ECC modules.

BTW, speeds ARE backward compatible with modules of the same type.
i.e A higher speed RAM module will simply run at the lower, supported speed.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 30 December 2009 - 08:29 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 workin2hard

workin2hard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

MBCT and all others;
Thank you for the info.
Seems "4AllMemory" had scanned his computer and told him this ram "AVANT AVM6428U52C533KB-NYCP" was what he needed.
Well, we had the power supply checked and the 12volt part was not working so we replaced the power supply and removed the new RAM and cleared the Cmos (I think).
Switched RAM slots.
Now, when the unit powers up the lights on the CD/DVD player light up, and the CPU fan runs. So there's a little progress.

Reviversoft
Here's the Gateway model #
(GM) MFATXPNT YKT 500X P04
SER. # 0029415211
Thanks for the info.
Shouldn't the company selling the RAM know the difference? Just thinking aloud here.

I can't see anything on the monitor; it's attached to the PCI card. This connection is different than the connection of the motherboard (original). So, I can't connect the Samsung flat screen to the motherboard connection. I don't think the motherboard would provide the power it needs anyway. So, Could I connect the Gateway to a Dell laptop (without destroying the laptop) with (a double male cable) to use the screen of the laptop as a monitor?
Or would the monitor from a Comcast (SR1130NX) computer work?

I want to Thank all for your kindness and helpfulness.
Happy New Year.

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

1. He could have invested in better RAM modules, something (Unbuffered non-ECC) from Kingston.
The company could have have made better recommendations.

2. Is this the PC : Gateway 500X?
Can't pull out any info. on this model, from the Gateway website.

I can't see anything on the monitor; it's attached to the PCI card. This connection is different than the connection of the motherboard (original). So, I can't connect the Samsung flat screen to the motherboard connection. I don't think the motherboard would provide the power it needs anyway.

AFAIK, if the motherboard doesn't get any power, there's no way it could power the PCI card because the PCI Slot gets its power from the motherboard.

So, Could I connect the Gateway to a Dell laptop (without destroying the laptop) with (a double male cable) to use the screen of the laptop as a monitor?
Or would the monitor from a Comcast (SR1130NX) computer work?

Are you sure the Gateway's monitor works(connect to another PC to verify) ? If it does, why bother connecting the Gateway PC to other monitors?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 31 December 2009 - 05:46 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users