Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video display problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:17 PM

For the last few weeks Ive been having a problem getting videos to play correctly on my computer. DVD's, streaming media, downloaded avi's all display as if the color controls have been turned way up/down.

The brightness and hue seem to be set way to high but when I adjust them it doesn't seem to affect the video at all. All other applications work just fine, even flash animations display properly.

Ive downloaded the newest microsoft codec's, updated my drivers (GeForce FX5200), and even tried swapping video cards, yet the problem persists.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

sounds like a software related issue. The player that you utilize to play these types of media may be corrupt or display settings outta whack. try to change players settings to default, if no help, try uninstalling the media player, and reinstalling it. you may want to test p[laying your media on another program, ex:windows media player, nero showtime, windvd, power dvd, etc. see if any od these ideas help, let me know
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 cowee

cowee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:42 PM

The problem occurs in every media player ive tried; WMP9, Win Amp, DivX player, even the ESPN in motion videos are distorted the same way.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:54 PM

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm
go download the latest "k-lite codec pack"
try this, let me know
i will check in a bit

#5 cowee

cowee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

Downloaded the full version of the codex and the problem presists.

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

well, have you checked other venues, like worms, malware issues? i was at a service call one time, they had lost the ability to use their cd rom whatsoever! it does weird s**t.
have you checked mocrosoft updates?click on start menu, select run and type the following into the command box, dxdiag, let it do tests of your installed dir-x see how the diags make out, it takes only a couple minutes, i will check back

#7 cowee

cowee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:27 PM

yes, Ive done all the dxdiag tests and no problems

windows is completely updated

as far as I know I have no virus or malware issues. I use Antivir, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and the Microsoft tool.

of those, only adaware is not set up to run daily.

Ill run a few scans just to be safe, but I dont believe that is the issue

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:33 PM

well, sorry but all i can help with remotely now is maybe test with another power supply, if you have access toa board to test out too, that would be dandy. good luck, sometimes you gotta be there to look for yourself.

#9 cowee

cowee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:38 PM

I understand that. Ive tried everything I could think of at least twice on this thing and its starting to really get annoying. Thanks for attempting. If you get any other ideas let me know :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users