Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive DOA?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VeloFan

VeloFan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

I am trying to re-install Windows XP professional on a new hard drive on my home-made PC (ASUS A8V mobo). I purchased a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500 GB SATA drive with the intent of installing it in the PC and then using the original Seagate 160 GB drive in an external enclosure for back-up data storage. I can't get past the Windows set up screen which advises that "Set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer". Here's what I have tried:

- I do have a floppy drive, so during the set up, I do hit F6 and load the SATA controller drivers (VIASRAID) with apparent success. No luck in the PC recognizing the hard drive.

- I have checked the physical connections to the new hard drive repeatedly and they're definitely OK. After each failed attempt, I take out the new HD and replace the old HD and everything runs as normal so I know the power and data connections are good.

- I have tried changing the BIOS to disable the SATA boot ROM setting. I've attempted the set up with this setting both enabled and disabled. No luck.

- Finally, I created a bootable DVD ROM with the SATA drivers slip-streamed onto the disk (along with SP3) per the instructions at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/. Alas, no luck. Same result each time - Windows set up cannot detect the new hard drive.

I am starting to suspect that my new HD is dead but I don't know how to confirm that or whether that is really what is at fault. Can any suggest my next step? Thank you for any advice you might lend!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

Does the new hard drive show up in the BIOS?

#3 VeloFan

VeloFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

No, it doesn't show up in the BIOS.
Update: I downloaded the Seatools (DOS version) program and ran that. The drive does not even show up there. Clearly, this one is dead. I'm returning it for a replacement.
Thanks for your help.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

Sure sounds DOA. Hate when that happens.

Good luck with the replacement.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

FWIW: SATA support in the BIOS must be enabled for SATA drives, no need to fool with SATA drivers. Asus boards typically are set up so that SATA drives can be seen by the native SATA controller. Your board has native SATA II support.

I would have simply decided to attach said drive to a different system very briefly...before deciding it's the drive and not some setting in the BIOS that you have changed, although the SeaTools diagnostic should be definitive (since it does not recognize the drive).

Louis

#6 VeloFan

VeloFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:32 PM

Update: I received a replacement drive from the vendor but still seem to have the same problem. Seatools (DOS version) does not recognize the new drive at all. So, I reconnect the old hard drive in the PC, put the new drive in an external enclosure and tried to get Windows to recognize the new drive. When I connect the external drive to the PC via the eSATA cable, each time my PC freezes until I disconnect the cable. HOWEVER, when I connect using the USB cable (external enclosure has both SATA & USB interface), then I can get Windows to see the drive (albeit as an external mass storage device). I can hear it spin up and can get Windows to do a quick format, etc. As soon as I go back to connecting the new drive via SATA (whether in the external enclosure on inside the PC), the system just can't see it.

Please, can anyone tell me why my PC which currently has an SATA hard drive won't recognize the new SATA drive.

Old drive=Seagate 160GB ST3160827AS
New drive=Seagate 500 GB ST3500418AS
Mobo=ASUS A8V Deluxe

Thank you for any assistance you can lend to this very frustrating problem.

#7 Chaky

Chaky

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:02 AM

Seems to me that your drive(s) are fine. It's your mobo that needs replacing. (Given that you connected all the cables correctly and the drive(s) are in SATA 1.5 mode)

#8 VeloFan

VeloFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

Final update & resolution: Turns out my motherboard cannot handle the 3GB data transfer rate of the new drive. Had to install a jumper to limit the rate to 1.5 GB. Everything works fine now.

Details here: http://support.asus.com/faq/asus-faq.aspx?...SLanguage=en-us

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

Thanks for posting back with the resolution. The information will be tucked away for future reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users