Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Wireless Internet Speed on One Computer of Three

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 evanr12

evanr12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

I currently have 4 computers in my network running a 1.5d/.3u Mbps DSL connection. It includes a desktop running Windows XP, with a modem and wireless router hooked up to it, a macbook that uses a wireless connection, and two laptops running Windows Vista that also use a wireless internet connection. The desktop, mac, and one of the vista laptops use the full 1.5/.3 internet connection and work fine. However, the other laptop running vista only gets about .3/.3. Ive made sure it isnt in powersaving mode and other settings, and I've tried disabling and uninstalling McAfee on my computer, but it hasn't changed the connection speed.

If I wanted to talk to a technician about it, would I call a Verizon DSL number or a Microsoft Vista one?

Thanks.

I might add that the wireless router is an old 2003 wireless-B Linksys router. I have also gotten a full connection speed from other wireless networks at friends' houses. Would upgrading the router to a newer wireless-G be a solution? if so, why would the other vista laptop run at full capacity on our older router?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

You may have a wireless channel issue going on.

Are the other 2 laptops connected/surfing when you are having this issue?

When you goto other people's place, do they have newer routers?

I'm not 100% sure if a new router would fix the issue. You could try updating the firmware first. That can be found here for Linksys in the US, just type your model and then pick the revision. You could also try a 3rd party firmware. Found here just look in the lists if your model is listed.

These are just ideas to try before you lay out the $$ on a new router. You'd have nothing to lose from trying.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 evanr12

evanr12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

The connection speed stays slow when both wireless computers are turned off. The firmware is up-to-date as well. I'm fairly certain other people's routers are newer than Wireless-B, considering I've gotten speeds of up to 20Mbps download and I think the threshold for B is 11?

Thanks.

Also, my router model isn't listed on the 3rd party firmware site you listed.

SOULTION!

We upgraded our router to a $40 Wireless-G Netgear Router and internet speeds are exactly what they should be!

Edited by evanr12, 30 December 2009 - 05:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users