Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Connection After Fresh XP Install

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bub12

Bub12

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hi,

Well, I just did a fresh install of XP with the same software that came with the machine originally. I ran the OS disc, the drivers disc & the applications disc. I didn't install everything such as "Optional Mouse Software" ;-) but I installed everything that could be relevant..so I think. I did install "Windows XP Supplements" from the "drivers" cd & it seemed to install much but not all as something required me to install "Windows VM", which I did not. Didn't think it was necessary. (I did just pop the "drivers" cd back in & had it install everything automatically, just to be sure that I didn't miss anything.)

However, I have no internet connection & have been searching for answers for hours. I do have the "1394 Net Adapter" connection yet with no packet exchange. I also have a router & a cable modem. I am typically just able to simply plugin any computer to the router & connect & presently have another old XP desktop hardwired as well as a wireless laptop connected. I have of course tried running both the new & network connection wizards. When I check the support tab of "1394 Connection Status" Adress Type, IP, etc, all indicate "unavailable".

Device Manager indicates the following missing "other devices":
-Ethernet Controller
-PCI Device
-PCI Simple Communications Controller
-SM Bus Controller
-Unknown Device
-Video Controller(VGA Compatible)

All of the above have the yellow question marks, just to be clear.

I ran " cmd" then "ipconfig" yet the results are as follows:

"Windows IP Configuration"

And that's it!

I recall that before I removed Windows, there was not only a "1394 connection", but a "Local Area Connection" as well which was the one that actually connected me. Any good ideas would be appreciated. If I am forgetting any info, please let me know. Thanks & Happy New Year!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

Insert the drivers CD.

It will autorun and install drivers for all your devices reflecting yellow question marks.

Louis

#3 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:02 PM

Hi Louis,

Did that already :thumbsup:

(I did just pop the "drivers" cd back in & had it install everything automatically, just to be sure that I didn't miss anything.)

Still no connection.

Doing it again now just to be sure...

Edited by Bub12, 29 December 2009 - 09:08 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Well...something isn't right if your Device Manager reflects yellow markings indicating uninstalled devices.

Louis

#5 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

That's why I am here... ;-)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

Installing Hardware Drivers - http://www.optimizingpc.com/install/hardwaredrivers.html

Louis

#7 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

Well, I ran it again & the same results. Don't know what to do...

#8 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Louis,

We had a post overlap. I am running the disc again & received a message that the Java package could not be installed. However, the installation came up "completed" & everything has been ticked as installed. Still same problems....

Okay, so I read the page to which you linked. I am understanding that I could try to uninstall the drivers & try running the disc again? Not sure why I wouldn't have all drivers installed as I ran the original discs. I did completely wipe out Windows & ran another OS on the machine prior to reinstalling. Could this have been the cause?

If by doing such, I lost the necessary drivers, then it would seem that I would need to download new drivers.

Edited by Bub12, 29 December 2009 - 09:37 PM.

#9 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

Okay, I uninstalled all "yellow marked" drivers & rebooted. Upon reboot, the "Found New Hardware Wizard" detected all of the said drivers. I again installed the drivers cd & let the wizard try to install them all. None were detected so back to square one.

So then, the next step would be to try to find all of these drivers online, download & burn the drivers to a cd from another machine & try again? Does that sound right? If so, why isn't the drivers cd or OS disc not installing everything?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

UPDATE- Okay, I have been on the Gateway & Intel websites & I have absolutely no idea how to locate the correct drivers. I cannot seem to find the correct ones on the Gateway site by narrowing the search & when I broaden the search, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I am open to suggestions...

Edited by Bub12, 29 December 2009 - 11:37 PM.

#10 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:20 AM

SOME GOOD NEWS....

I found the driver that got me back online! I recognized it as soon as I saw it. So, I have been downloading Windows updates for quite some time & have a ways to go.

After installing the Network Driver that I needed, all of the other drivers that I needed, were still missing. However, a couple have already been taken care of via Windows updates so, we'll see what the remaining updates bring. Stay tuned....

#11 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

Hi,

So, here's the update after hours of running Windows updates :-)

Again, I am now able to get online as I installed a Network Driver. That was my main issue. The MS updates did install a couple drivers but I am still missing the following, although I have yet to notice what a lack of such drivers impacts:

-PCI Simple Communications Controller
-SM Bus Controller
-Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I will continue to do some research pertaining to the missing drivers & see what turns up. If anyone has any thoughts that would make things easier, please do let me know.

Thanks for the link Louis! I still would like to know what caused my drivers to disappear & why I should need to fetch new ones .... :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

PCI Simple is probably a modem for dialup.

SM Bus Controller should be included with the chipset drivers.

Video controller should be self-explanatory.

Louis

#13 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

Hi Louis,

I will be trying to install the remaining drivers soon but I just noticed something strange...

After installing the Network Driver last night, although the "Local Area Connection" that was formed was familiar, when I opened Network Connections something was different compared to the way it had always been set up. In the Network Connection window there were two icons, as usual, "1394 Connection" & Local Area Connection". Both listed under "LAN or High Speed Internet".

However, above the "LAN or High Speed Internet" area in "Network Connections", there was another icon that was called something to the affect of "Residential Gateway" of which the "Local Area Connection" seem to run through, as I realized when I tried to delete it & it prompted me as much. When I clicked on its properties, it indicated the network set-up using icons showing the pc connecting to the gateway/router & that connecting to the modem.

Maybe this was set-up in such a way as I tried using the "Network Connections Wizard" many times prior to downloading the driver. It worked so I didn't think too much about it. However, this morning, I noticed that the ""Residential Gateway" icon & section of "Network Connections" is gone! All is back to the way I am accustomed, with only "1394 Connection" & Local Area Connection" icons in the "LAN or High Speed Internet" section. Perhaps this was altered during the Windows updates... Hmmm...

I don't like only to resolve the issues, but I prefer to understand the whys & hows of it all as well. So, if you have any ideas, I am all ears :thumbsup:

Also,

SM Bus Controller should be included with the chipset drivers.

You mean from my OEM drivers cd? They haven't installed to this point.

Edited by Bub12, 30 December 2009 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users