Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Hangs, Acting Oddly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tonyg1

tonyg1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

I have a Windows XP laptop issued from my job. It was working great for two years and then all of the sudden began acting erractic.

-will not go into hibernation
- will not shutdown
-randomly freezes
-shuts down random apps etc etc etc

I did MALWARE searches and VIRUS searches and it came up with nothing. I downloaded and scanned with hijackthis and nothing out of the ordinary was listed. Tested the system for heat and scanned the RAM and HD and no errors.

I then examined the last minidmp file and it pointed to this....

CVirtA.sys which seems to be linked to Cisco VPN which I USED to use for my work VPN (I now use Juniper). I tried to uninstall this and disable through network connections but it remains on my computer. Ive tried to reinstall and it hangs on the DNE process. Ive tried to delete folders and still.

Is this the reason for my computer hanging? If so, how do I get this off my PC?

THANK YOU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tonyg1

tonyg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

Just a note... I cannot login to SAFE MODE as it needs an admin password.

Thanks

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

Due to forum rules we cannot tell you how to circumvent passwords

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 tonyg1

tonyg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:47 PM

Never asked that.......I know how that is done but it is a work comp so I will not be doing that.

I was just noting that I cannot access Safe Mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users