Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64 and 86

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Database

Database

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:27 PM

What's the different between Windows 7 Professional (x64) and Windows 7 Professional (x86)? I'm in the IT department at my university and they give us free downloads on the OS. Anywho, the reason I'm posing this question is that I don't know which one to download...

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:00 PM

That refers to 64 bit and 32 bit. In order to utilize 64 bit, you must have a processor capable of handling it.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

x86 refers to the 32-bit version and the x-64, the 64-bit one. :huh:

EDIT: Like groovicus said, make sure your hardware supports the 64bit OS.
Also take a look at this article : Win7 32bit Vs. 64bit

To find out if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows in Windows 7 or Windows Vista, do the following:
Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
Under System, you can view the system type.
If your computer is running Windows XP, do the following:
Click Start.
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
If you don't see "x64 Edition" listed, then you're running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.
If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you're running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 29 December 2009 - 06:40 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, they're right about that (which version is which). If you don't know what 64-bit Windows is, then your processor likely does not support it. Give us a quick rundown of your system specs...

However, which one you should get is something to think about (if your processor supports it).

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with 32-bit Windows 7 Pro loaded on it obtained just how you're getting yours: through my university.

You can see the rest of my system specs in my signature.

My mom has the exact same laptop, only it has 4GB of memory, a different hard drive brand, and 64-bit Windows 7 (with, of course, a 64-bit processor). Her processor actually has a slightly higher speed than mine (2.1 GHz vs. my 2.0 GHz). However, mine is much faster (with more programs installed). Not only is there a significant difference in boot time (by a minute or two), but the differences in responsiveness of the system itself is also very notable. The 32-bit just seems snappier.

The article ReviverSoft posted addressed this issue, as well. I say that even if your system would support 64-bit, you should still go with the 32-bit. Not only will you have less problems with drivers, software, etc...but the speed of the system would be better (barring you having a new Intel i7 processor with about 8GB of RAM or something outrageous like that).

Don't forget, you can't start a business using free software like this (MSDN AA's website gives further details). Also, you cannot pass this out to your friends (you should be smart enough to know that, but I'll warn you, nonetheless).

Enjoy Windows 7, and if you have any problems, just post a new topic and we'll do our best to get it resolved. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users