Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 10:31 PM

My husband and I are thinking of purchasing a laptop (notebook) and keep hearing about 'wireless'.
I know what the word means according to Webster but that's not exactly what wireless internet means.
Question: When it comes to home wireless, what does that mean - internet in all rooms without cables? And, if you have wireless on your laptop, can you be online on a plane or out of the US? It's nothing like a cellular phone, is it? I mean, 'within a calling range'. If I had a laptop and was on a plane to England for example, would I be able to stay online during the plane trip and once I got there? Just how does it all work? It'd be quite a 'roam' I'd say, lol.

Thank God for this General Chat or I'd be in big trouble, lol!

Thanks for all your input.

~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 18 September 2004 - 10:42 PM

Google on this site: "Howstuffworks"

Then on WiFi works...

More than you'll want to know.

~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 10:50 PM

Well for one if you want to get a wireless card most only have wireless internet up to 500-1000feet in or outside your home! They make one that goes up to a mile! But if you really nead the internet for a job some phone companies(sorry for spelling errors in a hurry its 11:50pm!) offer a little pci card like the wireless card but you can go online anywhere in there calling range. The card is around 100.00-150.00 I think and then the dreaded phone plan. Thats my explanation of wireless hope it helps!

#4 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2004 - 03:04 PM

Another board has a posting by some one who has a home wireless and the neighbor is now linked -inadvertantly- into the system. Not good. The link actually occurs 'inside' the firewalls. Sooo not good.

Also there is a possibility of "drive bys" using their wireless to connect to your system.

Knowing nothing about this stuff but what is posted in places like this would suggest that you check to see if there are any different 'channels' like there are with phones so you could try changing the settings.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2004 - 04:47 PM

Google on this site: "Howstuffworks"  Then on WiFi works... More than you'll want to know.~Koan

Koan is sooo right, (and intentionally including Bluie's general tone) I have read the info at HowStuffWorks, and also in several other sources like PopSci (PopularScience) and those that sell the products. It's very cool and at the same time, you are well advised to learn "more than you ever wanted to know" before you plugin&pray the system won't act like a garage door in a crowded suburban neighborhood two weeks after the Black & Decker sale at Sears. Ya might want to make sure they're biting at the lake, ~67, before you buy that can of worms. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 19 September 2004 - 04:49 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2004 - 06:05 PM

Awesome information! Y'all are the best! I understand it all now. I was curious more than anything just in case hubby's second business takes off because he'd have to travel to Europe and Asia so easy online access would be crucial.
You have never let me down BC members! I am SO GLAD I was lucky enough to have strolled upon such an incredible website several weeks ago!

~67~

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2004 - 06:28 PM

Double that I have learned much here at BC!

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2004 - 08:07 PM

Wireless is just this, you dont need wires to connect devices together. What that means is if you had a cable modem hooked up to a cable router, and that router was wireless, you can then install a wireless network card in your computer and connect to the router without wires going between the two devices. This would allow you to not have to run cables throughout a house. Which can be a huge savings in expensive and aggravation.

If you have a laptop and its wireless, that also means you can take advantage of many of the wireless hotspots available to use when you are on the road. A searchable database can be found here:

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/

What that means is you can possibly bring your laptop to a favorite park, and if there is wireless available in that area, you could potentially be able to use the web while relaxing under a tree or sunning :thumbsup:

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:36 PM

I am SO GLAD I was lucky enough to have strolled upon such an incredible website several weeks ago!

And we are equally glad that you are a member.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:28 PM

Wireless is just this, you don't need wires to connect devices together.

I should add that is very cool. I will enjoy it someday. I just don't have the confidence (nor finances) to implement it myself. Please don't let one person's lack of understanding (or money) unduly influence any decisions that a sufficient quantity of either requirement would alleviate. :thumbsup: In all fairness to emerging technology. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#11 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:48 PM

Another board has a posting by some one who has a home wireless and the neighbor is now linked -inadvertantly- into the system. Not good. The link actually occurs 'inside' the firewalls. Sooo not good.

Also there is a possibility of "drive bys" using their wireless to connect to your system.

Knowing nothing about this stuff but what is posted in places like this would suggest that you check to see if there are any different 'channels' like there are with phones so you could try changing the settings.

Although what you say is true it is possible for someone to access a wireless network from outside of your home or office you can prevent it. I have my wireless router setup using encryption and I also have it setup only to allow certain IP addresses to connect to the network. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:38 PM

Another important thing to do to get rid of those people who do not know what they are doing when they try to connect to your wireless devices, with most people falling into this category, is to disable ssid broadcasts.

That way people wont be able to your ssid being advertised and wont be able to connect to it unless they know it.

#13 Tyler

Tyler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:53 PM

Wireless is pretty much the latest craze in "Internet Connectivity." it works rather well, wireless networking allows you to log onto your network without having to be "plugged in" some cards give you the range of just around your house, others give you a much wider range...
Then there is Wireless Internet, most businesses such as Starbucks and other cafe like locations are now offering "Wireless Internet" you pay a monthly fee, you get a connection to be used at your discretion, but you do need a wireless card in order to connect...
I was running a wireless network on my PC for a short period and found it to be, exciting for a time, but after so many times of a dropped connection and having to reconfigure my computer and router, I'd had enough and am back on the wire, it's much more stable and reliable...

As for your husband's travel, almost all international airports offer Wireless connections :trumpet: ...as for the connecting on the planes, I'm not sure if that is offered or not, if so I would be impressed.

Also :flowers:, if you are planning on installing a wireless network, make sure you've closed or hidden your ports and locked down your network , there is a thing geek teens these days are getting into called "War Driving" basically they go and drive around neighborhoods with wireless laptops and see who's networks are open, upon finding any they reek havoc...or just mess with your settings so that you cannot log into your own network, no fun :thumbsup:

Good luck with all that...

Edited by Tyler, 28 September 2004 - 03:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users