Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop - keyboard and mouse problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cyggy

Cyggy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

Hello everyone

I've got a 9 month old HP G60-120US notebook. I recently replaced a failing HDD and installed Windows 7 home premium. Here are some of the problems:

Built-in keyboard dead - I lifted the keyboard to clean the contacts and check the cable connection. Both seemed fine, but to my shock I noticed wads of lint and hair stuck between the protective backing tape and the underside of the keyboard. Whatever that crud is, it came from the factory, not me. I'm still waiting for an answer about it from HP. It's a Chicony Electronics Corp. manufactured keyboard, model# MP-08A93US6442, made in China of course. Do they deliberately apply piles of lint and hairs to the backing tape to make it easier to remove when they get sent back to the factory?? That might explain the dead keyboard!

Okay, so I plugged in a brand new Logitech USB keyboard (tested win7 compatible). At first it worked fine, then suddenly these problems (and more) arose:

1. Stops responding entirely.
3. Caps comes on/off uncontrollably, and tapping the caps lock/shift keys has no effect. They don't seem to be sticking.
2. Cannot login to windows password protected accounts, either keyboard doesn't work or windows tells me caps lock is on/off/on/off...
4. Letter keys suddenly open various windows applications.

*I tried 2 other portable keyboards and the same or similar problems occurred. I've also tried plugging them into other USB ports. No change.

As for the Mouse(s):

1. Scrolling the wheel causes my screen to zoom in/out. This happens in documents, my browser, the desktop icons... everywhere.
2. Clicking any link in FF browser opens a new tab, despite my browser tab settings. Clicking photos and documents opens them in tabs, not windows viewer or word.
3. Runaway cursor, or cursor bounces all over the place.

*I have also tried 3 different mouses (win7 compatible) and the problem is the same. The problem seems to be some internal hardware failure, affecting both the keyboards and mouse. (please god not my motherboard!)

Some things I've tried:

1. Updating all my drivers. Only one required updating, the coprocessor. Update was successful.
2. Ran BIOSagent plus. Result; BIOS and all drivers are up to date.
3. Scanned the PC with Avast and Spybot. No problems detected.
4. Ran windows chkdsk. Result: found one orphaned key, repaired.
5. Ran disk defrag. Result: No defragging required.

Note: These problems seem to get much worse anytime I let the laptop go into sleep mode. Shutting the system down completely helps a bit, but not for long.

Please tell me what you think, I'm at my wit's end and fear I soon won't be able to get online or type in this nice forum. Should I unplug the defective built-in keyboard completely, until I can replace it? Do you think my laptop is incompatible with Win 7? According to microsoft, it is. All I know is it worked fine with Vista, except for the failing HDD...

My system:
OS - 32 bit
3.00 RAM
AMD Turion dual-core RM-70 2.00Gz
Phoenix BIOS 4.0 - release 6.1
Nvidia GeForce 8200 M G
Motherboard - Wistrom

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyggy

Cyggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

No ideas anyone?? The keyboard and mouse start acting up at the same time so it must be one culprit causing both problems. Other symptoms are occurring now... one of the desktop gadgets keeps disappearing, the clock sets itself back 3 hours, browser acting berserk, and page scroll doesn't work, etc etc etc.....

Could it be the CMOS battery? Virus avast can't find? failing graphics card?

All these problems started happening after I installed a new HDD and windows 7.

Surely SOMEONE has a suggestion, even if it's a bad one? Please!!

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

Having mentioned the time resets does possibly point to a CMOS battery failure. A cheap fairly easy first step in trouble shooting.

#4 Cyggy

Cyggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the reply but I don't think it's the CMOS battery. At the risk of speaking too soon, I completely disconnected the defective built-in keyboard and, (for the moment at least) the problems have stopped. I can't believe a faulty keyboard would throw my entire system into chaos, but then I don't design or build HP laptops. I'll replace the keyboard soon and see what happens. Shame on HP. They sold me a computer with a faulty hard drive and cheap filthy keyboard, caked with animal hairs and lint, made in China by Chicony Electronics Corp. If anyone is planning to buy a HP laptop, I suggest you think twice or be prepared for serious problems and costly repairs.

This is my first, and rest assured, last HP computer. :thumbsup:

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

if this machine is only nine months old, you should go the warranty route before taking matters into your own hands. hope you can get some satisfaction out of them.

#6 sotoj159

sotoj159

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Maybe windows update will help....I don't know though

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •