Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC stuck in an emachines system recovery loop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 js74

js74

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

I am having some problems with my PC. I was having some virus/spyware problems, so I restarted and tried to open in safe mode to clean them up. It wouldn’t let me get into safe mode; it would start loading and then restart. While I was trying to get into safe mode I somehow got into a loop. It won’t boot windows, any of the safe modes, last known good, nothing. It just restarts after everything. To try to fix this, I hit F11 and tried to run the emachines system recovery disc. It gives 2 options, full system restore (destructive) and full system restore (with backup). I ran the “with back-up” option and restarted. Now every time the pc starts-up it goes back to the emachines system recovery and gives me the 2 options again. I have tried this several times. I even removed the slave hard drive I had been keeping my music files on. I just keep doing the same thing. I have been thinking about doing the other (destructive) option, but I’m not sure it will do any better and I will loose my files too. My PC is an emachines T5216. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

Nice summary of the situation, well done :thumbsup:.

Is this your system, http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...ps&subcat=T Series&model=T5216 ?

Drivers at http://www.emachines.com/support/drivers.html.

The loop for the recovery option...is difficult for me. I've looked at similar instances where an XP repair install produced a loop, but no clear resolution of the situation. Although I say "similar", these are really not similar, since those involve a MS Genuine XP CD and not recovery/restore disks.

I have to do some more research, hang on. Hopefully, someone with more of a clue will see this and post their thoughts.

Louis

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

If nothing works, you can use a Live CD to remove the viruses and backup your data, after which you can do a clean install/repair install of Windows.

For Virus Removal: Knoppix STD OR one of these.

For Backing up: Knoppix
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 js74

js74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...ps&subcat=T[/url] Series&model=T5216 ?

That's it, thanks!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

You can easily remove data files from the hard drive for safety...then try whatever.

Remove the hard drive and temporarily connect it (as a secondary drive) to a working system...move the files to a different partition. While attached to a different system, I would also run the chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Starting Check Disk at http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html outlines the procedures for running the chkdsk /r command.

I would then put it back in your system and see what can be done.

Louis

#6 js74

js74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

I ran chkdsk /r before I got stuck in the emachines system recovery loop. I am working on getting an old PC up and running again to move those files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users