Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linksys router not sharing internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

hey all,

my linksys wrt56gs router has stopped sharing the internet.

I can connect my computers to the router, both wirelesly and wired.
The internet works, as i can use an ethernet cable direct.y to the talktalk modem and access the internet.
I have reset the router, updated the firmware and done anything i can think of.

Any one have any advice?

Cheers dean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

Do you have cable or DSL? If you have DSL did you go back in and setup the connection type?

How old is the router?

Do you have the modem plugged into the WAN/Internet port on the back of the router? Normally the ports are grouped 4 together and one separate. The modem would be plugged into the separate one.

Have you gone into the routers web interface and see if it is getting an IP address from your ISP? Open a browser, type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit Enter, in the box that pops up, enter admin for the PW and leave the UN blank. Then look for a Status page or something like that for the WAN IP address.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

the router is a few years old, but its still in good condition.

i have broadband through the phone line (DSL i presume?!), and my modem is working fine.

im sure i have everything connected correctly, i have set this router up numerous times before and never had this much trouble.

here is a shot of the status page on the router, maybe this will shed some light?

Posted Image

i cant think of anything else to try, im skint too and cant afford a new router!

cheers, dean

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

Did you reset your modem too? Don't if you haven't.

When you set up the router in the past did you put your user name and password for DSL into the router?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

In the router console, under the administration area, is there a diagnostics panel which features a ping utility to test connectivity to an external ip address?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#6 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

hi guys,

the wierdest thing happened the other day, i spent ages resetting, trying differnt configs, different cables, etc, etc, and nothing worked.

then i thought sod this, connected all the cables back, and left it alone. i needed to swap some files from my other pc, so i booted up the laptop and the other pc, and transfered some files using my wireless network, and i noticed the "no internet access" disapeared, why it hadnt done this before is a complete mystery to me, but its working!! i did nothing different from what i had tried dozens of times before, maybe my router is on the blink, ill keep an eye out for a cheep one!

oh well, cheers any guys for your help!!

thanks, dean

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Did you replace the modem recently? According to what I'm seeing your modem is sending your router a private IP and using NAT to direct traffic over th internet. This will work fine on a PC but when used through a router often causes problems. I have seen this to many times to count. You should be able to enter the modem by connecting it to the PC going to 192.168.1.1 and change the modem to bridge mode.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users