Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze and long continuous beep

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WTF? HAX!

WTF? HAX!

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:05 AM

I recently purchased a used Acer Aspire One netbook. The netbook I opted for was the 8.9 inch screen, 160GB harddrive, 1GB RAM version that come installed with Windows XP.

So, the other night I get a virus on it that makes it so I have to buy this company's spyware blocker or I can't even browse the internet. Antivirus Live I believe it was. So, I followed a tutorial on bleepingcomputer to remove it. I did this successfully. But then, my computer started freezing up and then crashing while browsing the internet. This was followed by a loud beeping noise that continually played until I either hold the power button or yank the battery.

So, I say screw it and freshly install Windows XP off the partition on the harddrive and the problem STILL happens. I have no idea what is causing this, but I think Antivirus Live should be liable.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. I just got this thing and was loving it until this happened.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WTF? HAX!

WTF? HAX!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:31 AM

Nobody...? Please help me!

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:51 AM

When you did the reinstall did you format the HD, if not there are probably remnants of the virus.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 WTF? HAX!

WTF? HAX!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:43 AM

When you did the reinstall did you format the HD, if not there are probably remnants of the virus.

Ahhh, that may just be it! How do I go about doing that at this point?

#5 superfoozer

superfoozer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

When you reimage the drive, you should get the option to format the disk. Then just lay down xp on it and you should be fine. Just stick the xp disc in and select install, not repair, it should go through the whole process for you. When you have options to choose partitions, blank it out and start a new one.

Edited by superfoozer, 30 December 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

Don't forget to select boot from CD in the bios!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 WTF? HAX!

WTF? HAX!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

How can I boot from CD? It's a netbook, which has no CD drive.

#8 WTF? HAX!

WTF? HAX!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

It seems I can only repair this through a bootable USB from what I've researched online. How can I make one of these without the XP cd(seeing as it came pre-installed with no CD).

#9 suncross

suncross

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:54 AM

WTF HAX: What is your processor type?

Officially you are supposed to send the notebook in for repairs, but if you own the license and the CD key (which you do if you bought the computer), do this:

If you have access to another computer (I am assuming so because you are posting), then you can download a usb xp install here. That is 32bit, but since you have 1gb of ram you might as well get 32bit.

Here are instructions on how to format your USB so it will boot:

1. Get a USB stick with at least 256MB storage.
2. Format stick in NTFS using the HP USB format utility. That can be found at http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197
amongst many places.
3. Unpack the downloaded files.
4. Run the LiveXP.bat file.
5. Type 1 and enter the location of the installdir directory. Press Enter.
6. Type 2 and enter drive letter for USB stick, eg. I:\ Press Enter.
7. Installation will take a few minutes.
8. Reboot pc and go into BIOS screens, where you will need to change the boot sequence. Now, some Bioses put USB drives under Removable, and some under Hard Drives. Either way, make sure that the USB stick is at the top of the list.
9. Save Changes and Exit.
10. Stick will now boot up into Bart-PE.

Hope I helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users