Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus 05wd2 mobo or winxp install?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aurakle

aurakle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

Just build my new game system, and I can't seem to get XPpro to install. Here are my specs:

Asus p5wd2 premium
P4/3.0 ghz 800M socket 775
pqi turbo 2gigs 240pin ddr2 sdram 667(pc2-5400)
BFG GeForce 6800gt 256 MB dvi pci express x16 video card
2 western digital 80 GB ide
420 watt power supply

I took the drivers from the asus cd and extracted the ide drivers onto a floppy disk and used the F6 key to install the drivers so that the OS will see the hard drives. I was able to install xppro and sp2 on top of that, but everytime I ran Warcraft or Halo, the game would crash because of the onboard audio. I called Asus, they suggested to flash the bios then reinstall. I flashed bios to the latest one found on support.asus.com, but I could not reinstall the audio drivers. I called Asus again, and they suggested that I should do a clean install and load the latest drivers on support.asus.com for the my motherboard. At this point, I can't even load an os, it would blue screen as if it is having major driver problems. Can anyone help?

thank you so much!

@urakle :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:55 PM

I would run the Data Lifeguard Tools from Western Digital to format and partition the drives prior to installation of the OS. If that doesn't help then try the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD or Floppy) to rule out the possibility of a defective drive. It should not have been neccesarary to run the IDE drivers first and that may have had something to do with it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 aurakle

aurakle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:48 AM

I actually had to run the ide drivers under f6 or else the os would not install. I did find the reason for the blue screen, one of my 1 gb 667 mhz ram modules was defective. I started to feel it was some driver issue which has to do with some hardware. So I figured I put this system a piece at a time, so I started to take it a part starting from
the ram module and then so on.... If felt like the system kept choking and the blue screen issues were all so different. I tested one module at a time. The first was crashing the os installation, so I took it out and placed the other 1 gig module and it was smooth sailing. No problems in the installation. I'm planning to plan the future and returning those 2 gig modules 667 mhz and changing them to 2 512 modules at 800mhz. Thank you!

@urakle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users