Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 amsalemg

amsalemg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:47 AM

Hi,

I am having a problem of "Limited or No Connectivity".
I am using windows xp SP2.
My computer is connected to a 3COM router with cable (wired).
I tried almost everything:
  • Removing and istalling the network card.
  • Replacing router and cable.
I think that the network card is good because I can ping to localhost.

I think that this is some maleware or virus because
  • Windows takes more time to reboot than usually.
  • It always open the system32 folder after reboot.
Please help me.
Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Techguy27

Techguy27

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:46 AM

Hello amsalemg,

If you suspect spyware, you may want to repost in the "Am I Infected" forum.

As for the NIC:

Take a look at the following link. Setting Static IPs
Check whether your NIC is set to Static or DHCP. The router, by default, should be set to DHCP. Make sure your NIC is not manually set to a different subnet than what the router is using. The link will walk you through to TCP/IP Properties of your NIC. Make sure the "Obtain an IP" is selected.

If setting the NIC to "Obtaion an IP" does not resolve the issue, verify that your router is setup to use DHCP.

If you verify the basic setup is correct, and you have "reinstalled" the NIC card. It may be an issue with the TCP/IP stack. How to Reset the TCP/IP Stack

#3 amsalemg

amsalemg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Hi,
First of all thanks for your help.

My router is probably set to DHCP because there are other wireless connections that uses the net through it.
My NIC is also set to obtain IP address automaticlly.
I also made the TCP/IP reset with "netsh int ip reset" as explained in the article.

unfortunately, none of them solved my problem.
Can you think of any other solution that may help?

Thanks again for your time.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

Start > Help & Support > Type Network Diagnostics > Scan the System > Report/Result

Do share the results with us, a screenshot would be good.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 29 December 2009 - 01:36 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 amsalemg

amsalemg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hi,

I apologize for the Hebrew headers.

Posted Image

I can see that the DHCP server ip is invalid 255.255.255.255.
Can it be the problem?

Thanks, Gil

Edited by amsalemg, 29 December 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

I can see that the DHCP server ip is invalid 255.255.255.255.
Can it be the problem?

Thanks, Gil

Really cant read your image due to size and tri-focal glasses that seem to have weakened.... :thumbsup:

But you are correct. 255.255.255.255 is a sub-net not an IP per-say. Was that manually assigned?

#7 amsalemg

amsalemg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:00 AM

No,

As I understood this is the address that assigned when the NIC doesn't find DHCP server.
I checked both DHCP client in my PC and DHCP server in the router and they both active.

Any ideas?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:30 AM

If the NIC is not assigned an IP then it should default to a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx not a 255 sub-net.

Just downloaded your image and magnified it a bit. The NIC IP is at the default IP. Not sure where\why that 255 is coming up as the DHCP server. But is definitely part of the problem.
Have you tried doing an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew from a command line prompt? Note the space between ipconfig and /.
or
If you have access to any of the other PCs connected to the router. You can get the NIC information from one of them. Then you could assign a static IP to the troubled PC. The sub-net, gateway and DNS IPs would be the same. The IP address would need the last number changed.

The last suggestion won`t solve why it is not being assigned an IP but may rule out some other problems.

Edited by ThunderZ, 30 December 2009 - 06:47 AM.

#9 amsalemg

amsalemg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

Yes I did ipconfig /release.
The ipconfig /renew fails: "Unable to contact your DHCP server".

I don't think that the static IP solution will help because I can't even ping to my default gateway 192.168.1.1.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

With the values that are currently shown I would be amazed if you could. The NIC IP has to be in the same range as the gateway. Meaning 192.168.1.XXX not the 169.254.94.166 it is showing.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

The wireless connections, is it possible to connect one of them wired to the router? Maybe unplug the network cable from the back of the PC with the issue and plug it into whatever is getting a wireless connection. Just to make sure there isn't a problem with the ports on the router. you'd just right click on the wireless icon by the clock and Disable to get the wired connection to work. Then right click it again to Enable or if it disappears just go into Network connections and do it there.

You said it was a 3com, what is the model number?

I've never seen XP in Hebrew before. Also didn't know Hebrew was a right to left language. WOOT! I can go to sleep I learned something new today! I once "remoted" into someone's PC to help with an email issue and when their screen popped up it was in Chinese. Now that was a bit of a shock lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#12 amsalemg

amsalemg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

1. I connected my laptop that using the router wireless, and its work fine with the router wired.

2. the 3COM router model is 3CRWE554G72T. the router is working for more then 3 years in my house. the problem occured only this friday.

3. Yes Hebrew is RTL, and it makes a lot of problems in the software/web/computing isuues...

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:24 PM

You said you've replaced the router, what does that mean? You've plugged it into another router and either rebooted or did the release/renew thing and it still didn't work?

When you said you removed the card, did you physically remove it? or removed it in Device manager? Where did you get the drivers?

Have you tried restoring the PC back to before this happened?

I'm not sure what is going on but if you've tried another router and you still can't connect then the issue is with your PC.

It might be malware or something.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#14 amsalemg

amsalemg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

I took my laptop that works with the router wireless, disabled thw wireless option, and pluged it wired to the same router with the same cable.
It works fine.

As for the NIC, I removed the device manager and installed it again, and it didn't help.

I also restored to earlier point, same problem.

I also think that it's something like virus or malware and I also posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum, but no solution yet...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/282543/limited-or-no-connectivity/

It seems that there is no solution other then re-install windows XP........

#15 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

The 255.255.255.255 for DHCP is the default broadcast ip for DHCP server discovery. For whatever reason when you are connecting you are not reaching the DHCP server. You could have a corrupt ip stack. Try uninstalling and re-installing TCP/IP.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users