Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google doesnt work at all

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TonyLarson

TonyLarson

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:27 AM

Doesnt matter if I use firefox, IE. or opera. I can not search for anything.
I have also tried other search engines those don't work either.
Some help pls.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:43 AM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

What do you mean that they don't work? What happens when you try to do a search?

#3 TonyLarson

TonyLarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

It just brings up a blank page.

#4 janell377

janell377

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

I have the exact same problem, the only search engine that mine doesn't show up blank is bing. However, i really like to use google.

I posted my own topic about this a couple days ago and no one replied to me.

#5 wfcentral

wfcentral

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:07 PM

I am also having the same issue as well. Google nor Bing comes up. Says that there is a connection timeout. All other sites works.

Ran Malwarebytes and it came up clean. AVG comes up clean. Combo-fix comes up clean.

google comes up by using using http://74.125.127.99/ but as soon as you do a search the address switched to google.com/xxxx and the connection times out again.

Any other thoughts?

#6 janell377

janell377

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

I am still waiting for help, but have any of you guys figured the problem out yet?

#7 TonyLarson

TonyLarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

nope not yet i have ran everything i can get my hands to try and fix it.

#8 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:09 AM

I am still waiting for help, but have any of you guys figured the problem out yet?

To start YOU off... I see you had some help with programs on this thread of yours

Have you yet updated and rerun any of the programs suggested on that thread,especially the Malwarebytes program?

#9 janell377

janell377

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:45 PM

Yes. Everything is up to date and i've done multiple scans and nothing is ever found. However the malwarebytes program is no longer opening up when i open it for some reason, so tomorrow im going to reinstall that.

#10 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

Yes. Everything is up to date and i've done multiple scans and nothing is ever found. However the malwarebytes program is no longer opening up when i open it for some reason, so tomorrow im going to reinstall that.

as some malware likes to stop legitimate programs from running, maybe see this to help you rename the exe of the Malwarebytes program

http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/06/08/ma...-how-to-fix-it/

For example, before you save Malwarebytes Anti-malware, rename mbam-setup.exe to something like mapp.exe (or use any random name) and then click on Save and save it to your desktop. Double Click mapp.exe to install the application.

#11 janell377

janell377

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

it works now and i got rid of all things that were infected, but google search still doesn't work.

#12 janell377

janell377

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

I FIXED MINE!!

okay I don't know if this will work for everyone but i guess its worth a try.

When researching about the problem someone was telling me there might be a bad HOSTS file. So I restored it back to its default settings. I went to this site and it took 2 mins total to fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

That explains it all and after you do that it will tell you to restart and the problem is no longer there. After 2 weeks my google and yahoo search shows up with results!!

hope this works for u guys and let me know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users