Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After re-installing OS, no sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rch427

rch427

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:42 PM

Hey folks -- About a week ago, my computer was hit hard by a virus. After cleaning it out, I downloaded a registry checker which recommended I delete a bunch of suspicious or bad keys. I did so, but after that, the computer wouldn't boot up again. It wouldn't boot up in Safe Mode, nor get to Last Good Config, nor did the System Recovery work. It was well and truly screwed up. Fifteen hours of pulling my hair out, one service call from a tech, and $60 later, my computer is running again; sort of. I ended up doing a System Restore, just to be able to get into it.

It's an HP Pavilion with P4, and its original OS was WinXP Home Edition, but since I bought it used on eBay, I didn't get the installation disk with it. Consequently, I had to install Win2000 Pro off the disk for my other computer. The computer now recognizes some of its drivers, but not all. It was a heck of a time to get the video drivers installed, but I still can't get any sound at all out of the speakers.

I did the obvious stuff, like opening the Sounds and Multimedia Properties in Control Panel, but none of the default sounds are accessible, and the volume slider won't move. In Device Manager, it says that all of the Sound Controllers (audio codecs, etc.) are "working properly", but under the Multimedia Audio Controller tab it says there are no drivers installed for it. And yes--I've tested the speakers (they're fine) and they're definitely plugged in correctly.

According to Everest (that free utility that scans your system and tells you what hardware you've got), my PCI/PnP audio adapter is an Intel 82801EB ICH5 AC'97 Audio Controller. Under the category of Windows Audio, there's nothing listed. I tried downloading and installing the adapters from Intel, but can't figure out their installation procedure (something about adding a "-d" to the end of each file!?).

Am I missing something obvious here? Should it be this difficult to get sound to work with such a recent machine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:21 PM

Well to start with HP does not supply restore disks with there computers since about the turn of the century. There is a hidden partition on the HDD with the restore files in it. To access this partition start tapping the F10 key after turning the computer on.

If you wish to try this and install the XP Home OS then let us know, if not then we can proceed with trying to get the drivers for the hardware that is not working.

You don't know what procedure you used to install 2k, if you FDisk'd the drive then you might have removed the hidden partition.

#3 Waldo

Waldo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:13 PM

If you have lost the partition and you are going to use Win2000 just un-install the sound card restart the computer and let Win2000 re-install it. I don't know if it will work but what will it hurt. The sound card is much newer than Windows 2000 is probably.

The problem here is you have a newer computer and the built-in Windows 2000 sound card drivers are all six years old now.

If you cannot get it to work you might gave to buy a copy of Windows XP or else buy a sound card that will work with Windows 2000 which will be cheaper than buying XP.

Go here for a Whitepaper on Intel 865 chipsets.
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/25272901.pdf

I ran searches using Intel 82801EB ICH5 AC'97 Audio Controller as the search criteria and that is how I know that your motherboard is one of the 865 series.

I checked the Intel website and the closest hardware compatibility I found was at http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/d865gbf_lc_mlp.pdf

Check these URL's also
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/whql.htm
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboa...chip_865875.htm

Your motherboard is one of the 865 series. So after you find out exactly which one download the driver. See Identifying your Chipset.

Troubleshooting Audio Issues with the 865 series Intel Motherboards URL below
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboa...b/cs-020642.htm

This message was done carefully and all of the links were checked but for some stupid reason I would paste links here and they would get messed up and some information would just disapear completely when I would modify the post so just in case of Technical Problems I have put all the links below here in a slightly different format.

Identify your Intel Chipset below.
www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-001411.htm

Intel 865G Chipset Technical Documents below.
www.intel.com/design/chipsets/865g/documentation.htm#techwp

See page 7. Windows 2000 was tested with a 865 series motherboard below.
www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/d865gbf_lc_mlp.pdf

Intel 865 and 875 Desktop Boards below.
www.support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/chip_865875.htm

865 G Technical Documents below.
www.intel.com/design/chipsets/865g/documentation.htm

A very good picture of the 865GBF and 865GLC Motherboards in case this is your board.
www.intel.com/design/motherbd/lc/lc_productbrief.pdf

Hope this helps
Ron Holloway

Edited by Waldo, 20 August 2005 - 01:01 AM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:31 PM

See if HP support has the drivers. Look up the exact model number of your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users