Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning: CI service

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 azjimmied

azjimmied

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:21 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? There's very little info available from any source including Microsoft (surprise surprise)

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 4149
Source: Ci
Version: 5.2.3790.1830

Explanation
Internal issues.

User Action
Contact Microsoft Product Support Services.

Version: 5.0
Component: Application Event Log
Symbolic Name: MSG_CI_USN_LOG_UNREADABLE
Message: Read of USN log for NTFS volume %1 failed with error code %2. Volume will remain offline until the Indexing Service (cisvc) is restarted.

User Action

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:26 AM

:thumbsup:

Maybe some Details on what you are talking about will Help us understand?

Where and how did you get it?

Manufacturer and Model of your Machine would also help.

:flowers:

#3 azjimmied

azjimmied
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:45 AM

I guess some details would help. It's a custom built computer running XP pro. I looked in event viewer under applications and saw this warning. The event number is 4149.

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 4149
Source: Ci
Version: 5.2.3790.1830

Explanation
Internal issues.
User Action

Version: 5.0
Component: Application Event Log
Symbolic Name: MSG_CI_USN_LOG_UNREADABLE
Message: Read of USN log for NTFS volume %1 failed with error code %2. Volume will remain offline until the Indexing Service (cisvc) is restarted.

User Action

It's a configuration item and that's about all the info I have. I'm unable to interpret event codes and not experienced at fixing these messages. There are no knowledge base articles around for this problem. I can post a hijackthis log if it will help.

#4 azjimmied

azjimmied
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:50 AM

It started last night, I don't know what caused it. I ran Aulogic's registry cleaner prior to seeing this appear. I backed up my registry first.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:52 AM

BleepingComputer does not recommend the use of registry cleaners as they offer little benefit but can cause massive damage and that may be what happened here.

I would try either doing using System Restore and restoring your computer back to a day or two before this problem came along or just restoring the registry using the backup you created.

Do NOT post your HijackThis log in this forum and unless you feel your system is infected, there is probably no need to post it at all. Once you post your log, which can only be posted in the appropriate forum, you will not be able to receive help for this, or any, problem until that thread is resolved and it can take around 10 days before you would get help in that forum

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:14 AM

:flowers:

It certainly points toward something missing in the Registry.

Try to Restore Registry back to where it was before running the Registry wrecker, as it has turned out? That is why noone here, with knowledge, will ever recommend a Registry "Cleaner", Mate.

If that doesn't fix it, try, as Stang777 suggests as well, System Restore to a time before you ran it.

Post back after trying that.

:thumbsup:

#7 azjimmied

azjimmied
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for your help, I'll refrain from using them in the future. I'll try to restore the registry first, then system restore if that doesn't do the trick.

#8 azjimmied

azjimmied
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

I tried restoring the registry first which didn't work, then a system restore to 1 day before the problem started and the problem still happens. I'm searching for a phone number to Microsoft support in the USA with no luck so far. Would a Hijackthis log be of any help?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3683128.php.

Louis

#10 azjimmied

azjimmied
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

Also, it says that the volume will remain offline until the indexing service is restarted, along with error code 0xC000003E. I've tried restarting the indexing service with no better results.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

As pointed out in that link I provided...indexing is an unnecessary (and, IMO, unwanted) service.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=

I always disable it as one of the first things I do after installing AV program, etc. to ensure computer defenses...so I really don't know much about it, other than what I've commented on.

Louis

#12 azjimmied

azjimmied
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

I tried the solutions listed in your reply Hamluis, and it was of no help whatsoever. (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3683128.php.). After I applied their fix, the computer wouldn't boot up. So after my 2nd system restore, all is well, no more errors. I'm left wondering why the first time I used system restore it didn't work properly, but was fine after the second reset, exact same settings (?). I've deleted all questionable 3rd party software because they seem to only cause problems. I appreciate your help, and to all of you,
Have a Happy New Year!!!!! :thumbsup:

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users