Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser redirects firefox and IE8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 xsile

xsile

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:58 AM

Hi all, I was told by extreemeboy to post here since we could not get this issue resolved with a rootkit scan. All attempts to use rootrepeal ended in the program crashing and GMER will completed a scan but I am unable to save the results then GMER completes as the system will completely hang once I click save.

I am having the redirecting issue also. Meaning that sometimes when I click a link after doing a search I get redirected to some random site instead of the link I initially clicked on. I have used Superantispyware, Webroot Spysweeper and anti-virus, spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, and finally removed webroot from my system and installed avast pro. Avast found some malware and move it to the chest. That seems to have made my system run faster and more stable than before however the redirecting issue is still present. I also can not boot the computer into safe-mode, when ever I try, I get to the mups.sys portion an the system just restarts itself. I have read though the forums about this issue and tried to follow some of the steps that where suggested to other folks as it pertains to my system. I downloaded OTL to desktop as well as GMER.exe and ATF-Cleaner. I was able to run OTL and ATF but GMER locks my system up to the point that only GMER will run and complete but no controls are able to be used including the ability to save the GMER log file at the end of the scan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:21 AM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.

Please describe the issues you are experiencing with your computer.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Daryl95

Daryl95

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

This won't help much except to narrow down where your problem came from but when you click an icon does the status bar say gsgfdh.com?

#4 xsile

xsile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

I was told to post here by extremeboy, whom was the moderator/HJTteam member of the forum you just moved me to. I did not post anylogs here because I was told to get instruction on what applications I should run and what logs I should actually post.

#5 xsile

xsile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

This won't help much except to narrow down where your problem came from but when you click an icon does the status bar say gsgfdh.com?

Actually it is random every time. sometimes I click a link and it takes me to wellsfargo or ebay or sometimes a real estate site.

#6 xsile

xsile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:46 PM

Sorry for my confusion. I just posted in the proper forum as per the instuctions given by extremeboy.

Edited by xsile, 29 December 2009 - 05:14 PM.

#7 Daryl95

Daryl95

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

Actually it is random every time. sometimes I click a link and it takes me to wellsfargo or ebay or sometimes a real estate site.

I know it takes you to a different site but if you look at your status bar at the bottum of the screen, if it's enabled(if it's not enabled then enable when you try this), it should say gsgfdh.com before it redirects you. If it doesn't come up the first time try a few links because sometimes it's either faster or I mighthave more than one of these stupid things on my computer, but be careful sometimes this thing can run you right into another virus. If you are having this problem then I'll be watching this thread as I am fed up with this stupid virus on my computer.

#8 xsile

xsile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hi Daryl95,

Mine does not do what your's is doing. Mine always shows a IP address just before it redirects me and the IP address appears to be totally random also.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

Topic closed to avoid confusion. Earlier topic in Am I Infected is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/279828/ie8-and-firefox-redirecting/ ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users