Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

low resource problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 xtraloud

xtraloud

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

Hi,
It seems lately that I am having the low resources nag when I do photo editing and message board posting with pictures.

I have been using the HP Image Editor that came with my system, but have installed Paint Shop Pro 7, and am trying to learn it. I do not try to run them both at the same time.

I have all the recommended anit-virus, use Zonelab, and use Diskkeeper Lite for daily defrags and use Windows scan disk and defrag in the safe mode once a week.

I am attaching two screenshots of my specifics. I will appreciate any and all suggestions for getting my resourse number up.

Thankx,

xtraloud

Attached Files

Edited by xtraloud, 18 August 2005 - 01:52 PM.

Those who wander
are not always lost

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xtraloud

xtraloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:27 PM

Okay,
two post with one attach each..............
opps turns out I needed it, forgot the text :

on reboot resource is 54 percent (nothing open)

open OE resourse is 42 percent (don't open any mail, just OE)

open HP Image Editor resourse is 33 percent (No editing yet, just open software)

help please,

x

Attached Files

• Attached File  perf.gif   10.64KB   38 downloads

Edited by xtraloud, 18 August 2005 - 01:52 PM.

Those who wander
are not always lost

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:12 PM

This can be caused by a few different things, but the most common problem is to many programs running in the background (starting at boot right side of your taskbar).

Option 1
To stop these programs from running in the background, look in the program options and see if there is an option to load at start, if so then disable it.

Option 2
Start>Run>(type) msconfig>Startup Tab
Do a Google search on each program running if it isn't necessary then uncheck it and reboot.

Option 3
You have a program loading that is a bad install or poorly written and causing a memory leak.

Option 4
Malware &/or Spyware eating up your resources.

See this article:
Taking out the Trash

Show all Files & Folders
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=62
Try these free tools.
Trendmicro (free virus scan only)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Adware SE (update after installing)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Spybot S&D (update after installing)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...4-10122137.html

#4 xtraloud

xtraloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:58 AM

Thankx for the suggestions, I have most of the options covered, taking out the trash is cool.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed on the resource situation.

Is there a "normal" area for the resources to be on start-up ?

On re-boot the image editor works fine, butt after editing the software gets sluggish and eventually locks the software up.

May do a un-install/re-install of the editing software ?

Seems like this was not an issue until I installed Paint Shop Pro 7, (a bought disk).

Guess I answered my own question with that one, huh ?

lol

xtraloud
Those who wander
are not always lost

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:31 AM

Seems like this was not an issue until I installed Paint Shop Pro 7, (a bought disk).

This is odd just seen the exact problem with PSP 6 on a WinME machine and she installed PSP 7 and solved the problem.

May do a un-install/re-install of the editing software ?

This would be a good idea since the problem started after the install, seems it might be causing a memory leak.
Here is a method I use when installing programs on 98*Grinler machines.
#1 - Download the program to a Folder (if not on disk).
#2 - Disconnect from the internet, unplug cable if on broadband.
#3 - Open Ctrl+Alt+Delete > End Task on everything but explore & systray
#4 - Install the program completely, Restart Computer, Programs will start back up.

#6 xtraloud

xtraloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:36 AM

hummmm,

I un-installed the psp7 and it does not seem to have made any difference in the start-up resource number.

I start-up with 53 percent and OE drops it to 43 percent, same as with psp7.

Can someone give me an idea what nominal resource percentages should be ?

On start-up, I am running :

avg free
adaware free
zonealarm free
spyguard free

logitech mouseware
Ie accelerator 2
tweak ui

clouds wallpaper
26 desktop icons (not runing proggys, shortcuts and a couple of folders)

Thankx for any ideas, y'all.

xtraloud

Edited by xtraloud, 20 August 2005 - 05:46 AM.

Those who wander
are not always lost

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

You don't need to run Ad-aware on startup.
Doing a manual scan, a couple of times a week, should be sufficient, dependant on your surfing habits.
If you visit a lot of questionable sites, do a manual scan daily.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 xtraloud

xtraloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

Ooops,
My badd.

AdAware is not in the start-up lineup !

I run the AVG auto virus check and update check EVERY nite, I'm beginning to think it may be a proggy running in the background !

Gonna keep lookin', thankx for the input.

xtraloud
Those who wander
are not always lost

#9 kimandallan

kimandallan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:40 PM

Hi there, i seem 2 have the same probs 2, everything is running slow, not enough system resorses if thats how u spell it don't know what 2 do.

Any info would be great!

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

kimandallan,
Please start your own thread, with your problem.

xtraloud,
How much RAM do you have?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 xtraloud

xtraloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:17 AM

Kingston :

stik 1 - 1 GIG

stik 2 - 526

(two more open slots for RAM)

xtraloud
Those who wander
are not always lost

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:45 AM

What is your internet connection. Disable IE Accelerator from Startup and see if it improves. Those programs use caching and that will slow things down.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#13 xtraloud

xtraloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:39 AM

Disabled the IE Accelerator and ran the machine through the steps and it made no difference in the resource percentages.

I did a safe mode scan disk and defrag and it does not change anything.

Am I stuck with these percentages while using my editing software for this OS ?

Would XP give me better resource access ?

I have trimmed and re-located all that I can from start-up and from the desktop, if I don't use the editing software it runs fine.

I know I did not have these issue until I started learning to use the editing proggys !

Thankx again for any suggestions,

xtra

:thumbsup:
Those who wander
are not always lost

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:22 AM

Edit I just noticed you don't have XP but after all that typing I'm leaving this here. Maybe somebody else can use it or you can if you get XP. What OS do you have?

Lets try a couple of things here. Right click My Computer and select properties. How much ram is showing on the General tab? Just want to make sure it is all being recognized.

I just noticed that in your first screen shot you appear to have a page file size of 768MB which translates into 1.5 times 512MB of ram. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'll assume that is what your machine came with and the 1GB was added later. Your recommended minimum page file size is 1.5 times your ram and the maximum is 3 times so it really should be about 2250MB to 4450MB.

How to set performance options in Windows XP.

For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use much memory.

That certainly applies in your situation. If you have a second hard drive with enough space you can set up page file there also. This will increase performance as XP will default to using the page file on the C: drive where your OS is for system usage and will use the second page file for your editing programs. Do not put multiple paging files on different partitions on the same physical disk drive.

Work through the instructions in that link I have posted. Set up your editing programs as a foreground process and bump up your page file size to the recommended maximum. If you don't have a second hard drive you may want to look at that.

Let us know if that works out for you.

Edited by Leurgy, 24 August 2005 - 07:27 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#15 xtraloud

xtraloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:18 AM

Edit I just noticed you don't have XP

OOOPS !

I am using Windows ME.
The original machine came with 64 Ram and a 13 inch crt monitor. The only thing left of the original machine is the OS.

I have added the 1.5 gig RAM, a 2000 speed processor with a new gigabyte motherboard, and a new msoft keyboard and an Envision 17" flat screen monitor, a Westen Digital 120mg hard drive with dvd reader/burner, and a HP psc all in one scanner .................

I also un-installed the psc software and re-installed it. This has brought the resource number up, butt still leaves me with less than 50 percent working room while editing pictures.

Just for grins, what OS are you using and what is you resource count ?

xtra

Edited by xtraloud, 25 August 2005 - 06:40 AM.

Those who wander
are not always lost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users