Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with Windows XP repair install--missing asms file?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VioletTiger

VioletTiger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

My attempt at a repair of Windows XP has gone poorly. Hung at 34 minutes. Unplugged the modem and printer just in case. Restarted computer and now it will not let me boot from the CD fro a fresh try at the repair. It tries to resume set-up, but tells me it is missing the asms file.
Any help here, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

:flowers:

It may Help us if you explain why you needed to Repair it? It could be many things.

:thumbsup:

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:57 AM

According to the Microsoft support page for "The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed" error message when you install Windows XP....

This issue may occur if the Setup program cannot communicate with the CD-ROM drive

Steps to resolve this issue can be found at.....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

#4 VioletTiger

VioletTiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

Thanks, tried the Microsoft fix (regedit) and it still cannot see the CD.
Was doing a repair to fix possible damage from virus removal. Random freezes, could not boot in safe mode. Did a virus scan booting from CD and it picked up nothing, so I assume the virus is gone and the damage remains.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:11 AM

:flowers:

You could try removing the CD Drive in System, Device Manager , shut down, remove the Power lead from the actual CD and Start the Computer after that, with no CD attached? look in Device Manager to be sure it is really gone, then shut down again, rehook up the power lead and start the Computer again.

Sometimes they get mucked up with Drivers, and that can sometimes work nicely.

:thumbsup:

#6 VioletTiger

VioletTiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

Have to be honest and say I've never messed with the computer inards before. Any guides to show me what these things look like? Any other software related ideas?

Thanks.

#7 VioletTiger

VioletTiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

Okay, I unplugged both CD/DVD drives in the computer, re-did them. Nothing.
Got a new external DVD drive and tried that--nothing. Still the computer can't find the asms file.
Could it be the CD? It came with my Dell computer.

Please help....getting desparate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users