Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

networkreferences.cn and webphenomenon.cn start up in the background

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maxconrad

maxconrad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

I'm getting some of the same stuff. In particular, networkreferences.cn and webphenomenon.cn start up in the background when I'm not even running internet explorer at all. When I'm using MS Word and just typing Word grays out as if another application has been selected, although you don't see anything. If you hit alt/tab you see IE and it lists one of the above addresses, but if you select it, nothing happens--no window opens up.

Also, a few times random music (that i don't have on my computer) starts playing when I have no media player running at all--one time it sounded like a film/media review show... like a radio broadcast.

This all started after I was watching some old Firefly episodes on Tudou; some trojans got spotted by ad-aware and I ran a full system scan and cleared it out. Now I run scans and see nothing, but something is for sure going on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maxconrad

maxconrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

The trouble started right after I installed IE 8 I. Everything was working fine before that. Not sure if that is related.

I uninstalled IE 8 and IE 7. The uninstall said it "couldn't copy" the file iexplore (maybe because it kept automatically starting every 15 seconds or so). So I restarted and then searched for the file. Came up with 2 files, a prefetch file, and iexplore.exe. I deleted both; I got a couple of windows warnings, but continued and then restarted my computer, and everything seems to be working fine for now.

I imported my ie favorites into Firefox before uninstalling and I'm running that now.

So that was my combat style, pseudo-savvy method. I may reinstall ie at some point. I have too much going on that requires my computer at the moment to worry about it.

#3 olbean84

olbean84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

Hi,

I am having the same problem with Internet Explorer - I can't seem to find very many reference, but am also getting the networkreference.cn, as well as, some "searching for female fingering" page which pops up?

Not sure what to do :thumbsup:

#4 mlerley

mlerley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

I had the same/very similar issue. It ended up being a H8SRT-type rootkit. I found this link: http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21326 and ended up being able to run ComboFix from http://www.combofix.org/ . I couldn't download it directly on that machine; I had to do it from a different machine, transfer it with a USB drive and rename it to cf.exe and then it ran perfectly.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

Words of caution here.....

DO NOT run ComboFix on your own, only run it with supervised help from an expert in its use.

Running it on your own could lead to you having an inoperable computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users