Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying Favorites

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 p&dora

p&dora

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:27 PM

:thumbsup: Hello all: I am going to visit my son and dil next week. I will have access to their computer but I would like to know if there is a way I can copy my Favorites list so that I can take it with me in case I cannot access my pc from their pc. Thanks
Windows XP Home, 1200 GL Intel Pent 4, Dell Dimension 4550, 512 MB Ram,XP2, Lexmark X75, OE6, IE6Firefox 1.0.2,Spywareblaster, CC 1.18.099, Adaware SE 1.05, PhishGuard, Road Runner cable, Computer Associates FW and AV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:26 PM

In Internet Explorer got to File then Import and Export. When the Wizard opens you can Export your Favorites to a Floppy disk by entering A:\Bookmark.htm in the Export to a file or address box. When you get there you can access them from the floppy. You can try it now to familiarize yourself with it. If you import them on their computer that will merge your favorites with theirs so you should be aware of that.

Edited by Leurgy, 18 August 2005 - 01:27 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 p&dora

p&dora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:03 AM

Thank you Leurgy. Good info. Sorry it took until now to reply but I did not receive notification, just lucky I happened to go back to my post to see if there were replies and there was yours. Thanks again
Windows XP Home, 1200 GL Intel Pent 4, Dell Dimension 4550, 512 MB Ram,XP2, Lexmark X75, OE6, IE6Firefox 1.0.2,Spywareblaster, CC 1.18.099, Adaware SE 1.05, PhishGuard, Road Runner cable, Computer Associates FW and AV

#4 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:20 AM

Another way, is to just go to your favorites folder and copy/paste that onto a disk. You can put it on a cd then.

The Favorites folder is located:

C:/Documents and Settings/ *** Your Username ***/

*** Your Username *** would be whatever your sign in username is.

You should see a Favorites folder in there, you can right click on it, and select copy. Then if you are burning a disk you can paste it into your cd drive (the cd writing wizard will pop up a message by the clock that says "you have new files waiting to burn"....then just burn as usual). Or if you prefer not to use the Windows CD burning function, if you have Nero (or any other cd burning program) you can just use that instead.

Hope that helps
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#5 p&dora

p&dora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:55 AM

Thank you Windowsxp550. Sorry for the delay in answering. I did not get notification of message.Happen to get back here just now. When you say "copy and paste on to disk" do you mean floppy disk? I have never used them and don't have one. But thanks anyway, will keep info for future use. Maureen

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:00 PM

If push comes to shove, you could make a copy of the file and Email it to your son so it would be available when you arrive.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:25 PM

Good idea jgweed. Since you export your files as bookmark.htm it will open in Internet Explorer on whatever computer you view them on. The Import/Export Wizard defaults to C:My Documents so you could just email that file.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

If push comes to shove, you could make a copy of the file and Email it to your son so it would be available when you arrive.
Cheers,
John

I have done this. I sent the text .doc of my favorites to my Hotmail account. Once I opened the e-mail, then downloaded the attachment. I was then able to view all of my favorites, which shown as links.
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 p&dora

p&dora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:55 AM

Thank you everyone. Some good suggestions. Will save.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users