Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - two soundcards - NOT WORKING

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tan meats

tan meats

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hi y'all. Been here long ago under a different handle. Good to see ya.

Just bought a Compaq Presario CQ5210F with the following specs:

* AMD Athlon II X2 215 Dual-Core Processor (2.7 GHz, 1 MB L2 Cache, 4000 MHZ System Bus)
* 3GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (1x2048MB and 1x1024MB)
* 500GB (7200RPM) Serial ATA hard drive; SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
* NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with 256MB integrated shared graphics memory. Up to 1407MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows 7
* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I dropped an additional 1TB HDD and an E-Mu 0404 into it, and installed the soundcard's drivers. Working OK under ASIO for recording and monitoring, which I expected. However, I still want to use the onboard Realtek AC'97 onboard sound for mp3 playback and everyday use.

Here's the problem: when I installed the E-Mu, the Realtek card 'disappeared.' It's no longer an option under Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound. It doesn't appear in the Devices and Printers > (computer) properties > Hardware tab ("Show Disabled Devices" is checked). I tried reinstalling the AC'97 drivers from the Realtek website and it's not there. I disabled the E-Mu and rebooted, Realtek was still not detected. I never turned the onboard audio off in the BIOS, so I'm not sure why it's gone. Any help? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

Hmmm....it seems Compaq's, Windows 7, and sound cards don't get along very well.....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/282298/ess-allegro-driver-for-windows-7/

Yet another reason why I won't buy a "crappy" branded PC (no offense, just my experience).

You might try taking the new one out and see if you can get the old one to work again (instead of just disabling it). I don't see the point in having two at the same time anyway (I can only envision problems). If one is better than the other, why not just use that one alone? Sorry if I don't understand completely, but I'm trying. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 tan meats

tan meats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:06 AM

I do audio recording, and this is why i need the two soundcards.

The E-Mu's outputs are connected to studio monitors, and the realtek's outs are connected to consumer stereo speakers. Trust me, it's necessary.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

Are you sure the computer will allow for both cards to be enabled? I am sure it is possible, I have just never seen it. Usually it is one or the other, and it is set up in the Bios.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:45 PM

This is for a totally different situation, but might give you some idea of where to look
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/winwarbler/Help/...eSoundcards.htm

A lot more reading
http://www.google.com/search?q=Configuring...lient=firefox-a

Edited by garmanma, 29 December 2009 - 01:46 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

I do audio recording, and this is why i need the two soundcards.

The E-Mu's outputs are connected to studio monitors, and the realtek's outs are connected to consumer stereo speakers. Trust me, it's necessary.

Oh, okay. I understand now.

But like groovicus, I don't know if it is possible as I have never seen it either. :huh:

Good luck. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users