Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't install usb drivers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 harleysgirl

harleysgirl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

ok, 2 weeks ago my sons computer, a emachines w3650, got a virus and he had avast clean it up. Upon reboot, it went into an endless boot cycle that I couldn't fix so I ended up do a undestructive repair/reinstall of the OS (Windows XP). We had some trouble getting sound after that, but did finally get that taken care of (turned off onboard sound in bios and run only with a dynex sound card). While trying to fix all of that, I didn't notice that none of the usb ports were working. There are 2 in front, connected to the mobo (esc945) with a cable (but I believe those have always had issues) and 2 separate sets of 2 in the back, which have always worked until recently. There were yellow "?" on all the usbs in device manager. Nothing plugged into these ports work. I ran DriverMax and tried to install the drivers from there, no go. I have turned off and on "USB 2 Support" in bios, no go. I have tried searching on the internet for drivers, which just takes me to the MS website to check for updates, but none are found. I have uninstalled the devices and rebooted, and while the computer finds the hardware, it gives me an error that the .inf file is missing, or may have been written for Win95 or later. I have tried to point to the divers on the WinXP install disk, no go. I went to the ESC site for mobo updates, none found. Ummm......what else? So tired of messing with it, went and bought USB PCI card, figured just go new. The card came with an install disk, so I pop it in, and run setup. Reboot. Hmmmm, lots of new hardware, none of which appear to be working in device manager. Nothing plugged into the new usbs work. Im at a loss. It seems there is something that is preventing the drivers from installing correctly, but Im not geek enough to know what it is. I did get updated to SP3 after the OS repair, I kinda wonder if that is it.

help please (bangs head on desk)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

Gateway don't seem to offer any support for that model, but it has Intel 945GC Express as the motherboard support chipset, so the Intel INF Update Utility should enable USB support:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...p;DwnldID=16023

Edited by Platypus, 28 December 2009 - 11:00 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 harleysgirl

harleysgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

Thank you for this. Unfortunately it didnt work for me. After downloading and installing this, I try to install the usb drivers again (from the hardware wizard) I get an msg asking to point to the usbehci.sys file. I do that then it asks for me to insert the Windows 9x Usb 2.0 (EHCI) Driver Disk for VIA. The Dynex usb driver disk is already inserted so Im not sure what its asking for. I dont know what Windows 9x is. After clicking on OK at that point, I get the same error as before, that the inf file was written for Windows 98 or later. Im running Windows XP Home with SP3. I tried to install from the Dynex USB driver CD, and it acts like everything is fine and reboots the computer, but the devices still have yellow "?" and dont work.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

What I'm going to suggest is the most obvious option but one that will require some effort...

Carry out a clean install of Windows XP for a fresh start ! (no point in messing up the PC any further)

* Make sure you get the device drivers beforehand, from here.
[ Desktop > W Series > W3650 > Win XP Home/Pro > Driver ]

* You can simply connect your existing hard disk to another PC or use a Linux LiveCD to backup all that you need.

So once you have Windows up and running, install the necessary drivers and applications and all should be well!

Good luck. :thumbsup:

P.S: Windows XP offers built-in support for USB controllers.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 harleysgirl

harleysgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

Well, I was on the verge of doing that as much as I hated the thought of losing all my programs. Fortunately I happened upon a forum that had the answer (evidently is not an uncommon problem, but not one where the fix is not widely known). There was a missing ubs file in my c:/windows/inf folder. I copied the folder from a good source and replaced the folder on the problem computer. As soon as the copying was done, the hardware wizard started to run and found all the drivers and installed them all with no more problems. All of my usbs are working now.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users