I have a HP1100tc TabletPC with Windows XP Tablet Edition SP3 running on it (this means you may see some odd processes in the logs for ink input, etc.) About a month ago, when my cable internet connection was down, I plugged in my wireless sprint card to surf the web. I wasn't thinking clearly, and forgot that this put me directly connected to the net, and no longer behind the NAT in my router. I was using the Opera browser and unfortunately had Java enabled, an old Java. Well, I got some weird flashing popup with "Danger Computer Infected" etc and Windows Installer started up and tried to install something. I quickly killed the msi process and spent some time searching for the newly created files, and moved them to a different directory and renamed them. I ran SpybotSD and MalwareBytes and found that the Trojan.FakeAlert.N and Rootkit.TDSS had been partially installed (and corrupted a couple of registry enties), but I seemed to have killed the process before the executables could be decompressed.
I have completed the preparation guide's steps and stand (sit) ready for your merciful help.
Merged posts. ~ OB
Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 December 2009 - 10:17 PM.