Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security 2010/win32.netsky google redirect

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KenShoSC

KenShoSC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

Hello all. I am a new person here on the board but have spent a couple days trying some things as suggested in the other posts. I was really hoping to not have to add to the confusion and workload over an issue several people seem to be having. No such luck.

Backstory: Internet Security 2010 somehow got onto my computer. I used rkill and then MBAM to get rid of it. IS2010 went away but here came the redirects from Google (might have been happening the whole time just did not notice)

Tried running MBAM several times and found issues each time. Last night I ran it again and it found 49 issues before I left if for the night. In the AM the computer was no longer talking to the monitor although the system seemed on. Rebooted and now I just get a message that window explorer is not working and that the system is infected with worm.win32.netsky or something like that although the popup is from a program I do not recognize.

Once I get fully booted I can only see the background and the computer will not respond. I have not Internet so downloading will have to be limited to downloading onto an sd card and passing it back and forth.

I am sure you will need more information to be able to help but I would appreciate anything you could assist with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

Can you post the Malwarebytes log?

See if this will boot into safe mode...

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download DrWeb-CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and unheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 KenShoSC

KenShoSC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

When trying to boot into safe mode I am getting the message :

File: \windows\system32\drivers\ovajz.sys

info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing. or corrupt.

And yes that is new. Dang.

#4 KenShoSC

KenShoSC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

New Issue. After trying to get it to load into safe mode I decided to put in my install disk. I tried the repair option and the computer is still going to a black screen where the computer is on but it is not talking to the monitor.

I have also detached the computer from the internet since one of the issues MBAM found was a backdoor trojan and I read in another post removing it from the internet was a good first step.

Any help would be appreciated.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:27 PM

I am confused a little. You tried a repair install and the computer will not boot completely?

If it still boots, please run GMER to check for a rootkit

Please download gmer.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to its own folder such as C:\Gmer. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure.)
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security program drivers will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.
  • Double-click on gmer.exe to start the program.
  • Allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • You may be prompted to scan immediately if GMER detects rootkit activity.
  • If you are prompted to scan your system click "Yes" to begin the scan.
  • If not prompted, click the "Rootkit/Malware" tab.
  • On the right-side, all items to be scanned should be checked by default except for "Show All". Leave that box unchecked.
  • Select all drives that are connected to your system to be scanned.
  • Click the Scan button to begin. (Please be patient as it can take some time to complete)
  • When the scan is finished, click Save to save the scan results to your Desktop.
  • Save the file as gmer.log and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.

Edited by rigel, 30 December 2009 - 10:28 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users