Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless router

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:05 PM

not sure if this should be here under "Hardware" or under "Networking"

i was just wondering what kind of stuff to look for when trying to get a wireless router? the only i know to look for is the 2 standards b and g but thats about it. like what is the main diff between this two routers?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompa...SubCategory=145

also, im assuming this has been asked before but what brands are recommeded or better what brands to stay away from?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:39 PM

802.11b is a standard that uses UTP cables, transmits up to 11mbs
802.11g is a standard that uses UTP cables, tramsmits up to 54mbs*

*some hardware manufacturers claim to be able to use 108mbs on 802.11g standard

you should go with a brand that has a decent reputation behind it, has options for future uses, linksys, d-link have good names in the SOHO dsl router community. I would suggest a WRT series linksys, that si my brand of choice.
other then that they mostly all have the general options for routine web surfing.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users